SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Comet C/2011 L4 Panstarrs - Heads Up

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got it as well. Spent an enjoyable half hour or so with the kids, and my eldest spotted it first (with 7x50 bins), so he is completely over the moon. Over here, the best time to see it was 19:30, when the sky was dark enough to see it, but the comet was not yet too low. Tomorrow a slightly later hour will be better. Slightly more extensive report here:

http://stargazerslou...starrs-spotted/

I would say bins are needed, but I think mag 1 is a good ballpark estimate. It is just that the sky is still very bright

Paul and Kev those are fantastic shots!!!

Finally got to see it from Galway last night. Very very faint in the twillight. Got a couple of shots off on the dslr but missed the chance to shoot through the scope due to those clouds. It was mostly visible between 19:30 and 19:50 or so from this location.

ps_full.jpg

ps_wide_inset.jpg

Trev

Well done Trev! Nice shots with the city in the foreground :-)

Comlpete waste of time , I went near lands end from 6.30till 7.50 it was 100% clear in every horizon apart from where the comet was , I waited and waited for a small gap bit no luck ,

Panstars is been and gone now , heavy rain forecast for the rest of the month or there about a, and April won't be too special I bet either

Gutted :( ,

Comlpete waste of time , I went near lands end from 6.30till 7.50 it was 100% clear in every horizon apart from where the comet was , I waited and waited for a small gap bit no luck ,

Panstars is been and gone now , heavy rain forecast for the rest of the month or there about a, and April won't be too special I bet either

same here totally and utterly gutted even a small window of view to see it is all i want not to much to ask is it

Panstarrs will be around for a lot longer (we are talking months). It will become fainter, but at the same time, it will set much later after sunset, so it will not be caught in the glare. Unless we have 3 months of solid cloud, you are still in with a good chance of getting it in binoculars or a small scope.

Well as we wait for our taxi to the airport our week in Tenerife comes to an end.

No luck spotting Panstarrs. I tried a couple of times naked eye. The horizon has just been to obstructed with cloud.

I guess my first view will be from home over the weekend with bins.

And the lord said "let there be Tapatalk"

Last night was totally silly, we had snow and clouds all day and the just before sunset the clouds parted. It totally took me off guard as if it's clear I have a spot I can go to but at the moment I wouldn't be able to park there until the snow melts. So I thought I'd try my luck from home but I had the wrong vantage point, too many houses and trees in the way.

Moral of the story, be more prepared.

Hard luck. It's not a particularly impressive comet, but still annoying not to catch it. Hopefully a window will open in the next 2 or 3 weeks. I'd like to see it near M31, although I'm not sure how bright it's predicted to be by then.

Clear enough in North Yorkshire to get a very nice view with 10x50 binoculars out of the bedroom window - quite a bright core and a wide tail.

Same here in Northumberland. Couldn't look for long, and it was through trees and a window, but I've finally seen a comet! It was pretty small at 8x but I agree the core was bright and the tail fan-shaped. The upper edge of the tail was brighter than the rest.

Tom

Exactly... I spotted it easily over the Pentlands on Wednesday & tonight it cleared perfectly on time & yet where's it gone!!

I tried to find it over the Pentlands as well. Maybe the hills made me judge the altitude wrong. With the weather the way it is it will probably be a lot higher when there is a chance to see it again.

I tried to find it over the Pentlands as well. Maybe the hills made me judge the altitude wrong. With the weather the way it is it will probably be a lot higher when there is a chance to see it again.

I updated the Comets in StarMapPro on the iPhone yesterday. It seems to point me a lot further south west than I saw it before. From my viewing point It was to the right of Hill End, towards Currie I'd say. SMP points it out down towards West Linton now so I think I was looking too far west. When I saw it last time I was also expecting it to be lower than it actually was, thinking the hills would affect judgement too. In some ways they help as the Sun goes down behind them at the moment for me.

Archived