Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

An interesting second night out with my SCT!

After a lovely clear day I was expecting a nice clear night so I could get to grips with my new scope. As the sun set a few clouds began to close in but there was still plenty of clear areas in the sky.

So as the night set in I decided to set up early so I could take my time bag few targets. I had the idea of seeing a Nebula for the first time, (thinking perhaps the horse head in Orion, isn't that everyone's first target?). So there is me thinking I better work out how to properly align before I start. I set up by aligning on Polaris, then switch on, and do a two star alignment with 2 calibration stars. I notice a few more clouds moving in on the sky, but I think there is still plenty of sky left for me to look at!

So I slew off to Jupiter and its bang on target. Must have done pretty good at the alignment. I get it nicely focussed, then pop in doors to get a higher power EP. I come back out and loads more cloud had moved in. So I think ok I will stay with Jupiter for now and wait for the cloud to clear. Next thing there is a sprinkle of rain, and its all over my new scope!

So I lift her up and bolt indoors! (thank goodness I got something portable). I have rain spots all over the front lens. And I have lost my lovely alignment. Damn!

Well better luck next time eh?

Must work out how to clean the water spots off without scratching anything...

Dan

Bad luck Dan - the scope should be OK though.

The Horse Head nebula needs a large scope, extremely dark skies, an H-beta or UHC filter and a lot of patience to even get the vaguest glimpse of so I'd not suggest it as an early target !

M42, the Orion Nebula would be a much better bet and is a piece of cake to find and view. When the clouds allow that is !

Remember that your scope will need to cool before it gives good images at medium to high power.

Just like me Dan just got my new scope but not finished setting it up yet finding trouble with motor,its a nice clear night so far,the is above my house so its down to the 10 x 50 glasses,but its very cold out but hopefully get me scope finnished

Dave

Archived