Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Full Moon, my second try

The focus on the moon is very tricky. Because of turbulense the focus often shifts in and out quite a bit. The problem with that, is that for the moon, you have such short exposures that it's not averaged out like in DSO targets. The trick on that is to stack many pics to remove the out of focus frames. Most people use video for this, and often records 1000+ frames and stack the best ones. Personally i use AVI-stack for that.

Still, quite a good result there. How did you take it, btw? :)

That absolutely beats my attempts at imaging the moon earlier.

Using a rickety tripod, a 60mm spotting scope, an ancient webcam and blu-tak. :embarrassed:

Actually, that being said, the detail I could see on the moon with the scope was incredible - An ejectra ray from Tycho, falling across Mare Nubium, I think. Epic. Can't wait to upgrade.

In the absence of any other knowledge my method is this;

I'm using the camera on the scope (prime focus)

I set the lowest ISO.

Make sure I don't blow anything out (use AV mode with exposure comp at -2 usually works, but could use manual with a few test exposures and looking at resulting histogram)

Focus, then take a few shots. re focus take a few shots. Keep re-focusing and a few shots.

import pics into light room. Pick best one (no stacking at all) then post process to sort out contrast and add detail (I use a bit of the clarity slider to do this).

that's it

Dan

Dan, interestingly I got a similar shot using my 450D on Monday morning, using the same settings as yourself. Got up for work and saw the full moon just about to set, first clear skies for ages. Processed mine in Photoshop and was quite chuffed with the result considering I set up so quickly.

I've heard about that, but haven't a clue how to do it/what tools to use, yet! Does it effect local contrast or something? At the moment I tend to work with the tools I know as a photographer, which are Light Room and Photoshop. As time passes I hope to learn some more techniques/tools!

Ok. Thanks for you responses BTW, as a complete novice I appreciate your input.

After using Light room for some time (on pictures pointed around Terra-firma!) I have got pretty good at teasing out contrast and colour/fixing things with that tool, so I suppose I am always going to be drawn toward using what I know, but the wavelet thing has piqued my curiosity

To be honest I can't see (yet) the point of stacking pictures of the Moon as its such a bright object! I may be completely wrong as I'm new to this....

I'm really looking forward to doing some much fainter stuff that needs stacking so I can have a look at some of those tools. I have downloaded Registax 6 but haven't tried it out yet.

regards

Danny

Archived