Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First camera mod? Any good at all?

upahill

Hi All,

I know that I need £££ to get into imaging, and thats for the future, but I have been thinking about doing a 'what the heck mod' to see if I can use an old camera with my scope. Mainly I just want something that I can record a quick video with and say to the wife "This is what I could see tonight".

I dug around in my Man Cave and found this,

IMG_0898_zpsfd57afbd.jpg

It comes apart pretty easily, leaving me with this.

IMG_0908_zps9942647a.jpg

Its a Sony CCD, 520tvl - and thats all I know, just wondering if it would be any good hooked up to the PC through a DVR card (it has a BNC connector on it atm)

Has anyone used anything like this before?

Sam

Not to worry, onto plan B.

Found an old Logitech Quickcam 4000 which I will play with instead, managed to get it working on Windows 8 along with Registax and SharpCap so will give those two a go on the next warmish night :)

ive just bought a logitech pro 4000 cam from ebay hoping to mod it as i hear there pretty good and have a ccd rather than cmos.just hope it works on win 7 64 bit.just modded a xbox live cam just havent had the weather to try it out hopefully tommorow supposed to be clear skys in the south west !!

There were two different sensors fitted to QC4Ks - this page shows my QC3K/ QC4K mod and at the bottom of the page, there is a pic showing the two different sensors - it must have the Sony ICX098BQ fitted for the mod to work.

The CCTV camera may be a 1004x type, in which case John Groves' mod applies - http://jaggedplanet.com/ExViewMod.html

I have a Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000. I read somewhere that not all Pro 4000s have a CCD sensor, apparently some are CMOS. It works with windows 7 and have used it with Sharpcap although I was not able to get as much control over the exposure etc. as I have seen for other cameras. I am not sure why because I have only just started imaging.

Archived