New HEQ5 saddle bolts needed - any ideas?

Andrew INT

Hello all,

I have just added a dual bar onto my HEQ5 mount so that I can start having a go at some auto guiding. I'm using a 200mm Newt and a 102 refractor. The problem I have is this: In oeder to balance the telescopes, the larger, 200mm needs to be more or less over the saddle. However, the two saddle locking bolts get in the way. I need to get slightly longer versions. Do you know of such items or am I better to head off to B&Q and see what I can put together (bolt, nuts and a big wingnut purhaps?) I have a feeling however that the thread used on these bolts are not of this Earth!

Has anyone else had this issue? I done want to add additional weight onto the smaller scope since I'm really over my payload already.

Many thanks for any help.

All the best,

Andrew

Thanks Roger - your link sent me off looking in the right direction! My loving wife is going to order me a couple of these for valantines day (how romantic!)

http://www.wdsltd.co.uk/products/Machine-Parts/Plastic-Hand-Knobs/WDS-8485-Knurled-Wheel-Male-Thread-309/

I've not used this company before, but if they are okay I may well look so see what other bolts and levers etc I could upgrade. The hand knobs are only £2 each so its worth a try!

All the best,

Andrew

Beware Skywatcher thread sizes! The majority are metric standard sizes but, just to make things interesting, they slip in the occasional Whitworth thread!! (M6 is 6mm diam by 25.4 threads per inch 1/4" Whitworth is 6.35mm Diam by 20 tpi - very hard to tell apart until things lock up solid :evil: !! ) Both these sizes occur on the SW guidescope mount!! Also the clearance holes on SW dovetails etc are usually 1/4" clearance but some are only 6mm so the bolt that you want to put through won't fit.

You need to be quite specific about which bolts you are referring to.

When I'm back closer to home I think I'll go to a hardware place I know where you can show them what you're after and they normally pull a match out from their stores somewhere. I think they may be worth a try.

I took the locking knob to my local hardware store (a very small shop in the village). An M8 nut threaded onto it fine so I think it will be ok. It was hard to find an M8 with a long enough thread (60mm). The second problem is the diameter of the knobs I've seen are 40mm. I need two- and yes, the holes on the mount are 40mm apart so I can only really change one of them anyway.

I'll order them over the weekend and upload photos when they arrive.

I took the locking knob to my local hardware store (a very small shop in the village). An M8 nut threaded onto it fine so I think it will be ok. It was hard to find an M8 with a long enough thread (60mm). The second problem is the diameter of the knobs I've seen are 40mm. I need two- and yes, the holes on the mount are 40mm apart so I can only really change one of them anyway.

I'll order them over the weekend and upload photos when they arrive.

will be interested to see the pics of this.

Well, the postman pushed a large knob through my letterbox a couple of days ago (I never thought I'd hear my sell say that!)

Not only do they do the trick, but I think they look very smart too. As I said earlier, the diameter of the knurled wheels is 40mm and are too large to have side by side. So that they match, I also ordered a shorter thread. They are M8x60mm and M8x30mm

post-9267-0-50412100-1360269210_thumb.jp

post-9267-0-87601000-1360269232_thumb.jp

post-9267-0-11273800-1360269251_thumb.jp

Archived