Narrowband

M42, never at rest.

ollypenrice

I can't leave M42 alone. This image started life about four years ago and has been growing ever since. The latest tweak is very slight but invoved adding a hint of Ha from the 14 inch just to tighten up the Trapezium region which is always going to be tiny in this anyway. I had the 14 inch data sitting there so during the moon time I applied it. I also gave the faint parts a bit more of a stretch. All but the Trapezium Ha is Tak FSQ85 using both focal lengths, 450mm for the nebula and 328mm for the dust. Ha, LRGB and OSC.

Olly

Fullsize; http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=2338063598&k=rNfQT5R&lb=1&s=O

M42%20WIDE%202FLsV3-XL.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beautiful and rich Olly!

The Running Man always puzzled me as a target, as it seems to start off blue, and then as you add more data it turns crimson (a stage I never reached). It's as I undertand it fairly 'dead' in Ha, so I'm left confused by this man's spectral run.

/Jesper

That is truly magnificent Olly :)

I too keep going back to M42 - there always seems to more to capture - I don't think you could ever get bored with it. It's amazing how Olly always manages to find more and more, surely there must be a limit :D Anyway, I know I have plenty left to get in that area and the Atik 314L+ with 200mm lens seems to cover the right area though obviously lacks the resolution of Olly's setup. It'll do me for a good while though :)

Mark and Jesper, the Ha is odd in M42. Far from pulling our structural detail it tends to disguise it, or at least change it. There is plenty of Ha in NGC1997 but there's no running man! Also the lovely hook of gas coming out of a hole to the right of the Trapezium tends to get blurred in Ha. This was 7 hours at F3.9;

M42%20HaStandalone%207%20Hrs-M.jpg

There's plenty of signal in the outlying gas and dut fields but if you rely on it to get those details you'll end up with red gas and dust, which I wanted to avoid. So I took an enormous amount of LRGB and OSC.

The overall effect of the Ha was muted and mainly brought that large V shape of dark dust into prominence either side of the Great Nebula.

Olly

Archived