Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

0, 1, 2, and 3, strangely enough! I always think it odd that obviously 0 was found after 1, but no-one wanted to change the order, presumably!

In my introduction to thermodynamics lecture at uni the professor started with this, which Is what got me through :)

0 - With "man flu" thermometers do not read the same for two bodies which are actually at the same temperature

1 - if you put a warm body next to a cold one the warm body gets colder and the cold body still complains

2 - When two initially separate bodies in nearby regions of space are not as warm as each other, things don't get better

3 - If you want everying in the observatory to be perfectly organised you have to put up with being blumming cold!

• Like 1

0 - With "man flu" thermometers do not read the same for two bodies which are actually at the same temperature

1 - if you put a warm body next to a cold one the warm body gets colder and the cold body still complains

2 - When two initially separate bodies in nearby regions of space are not as warm as each other, things don't get better

3 - If you want everying in the observatory to be perfectly organised you have to put up with being blumming cold!

Ah, the well known but rarely quoted 'Laws of Thermalunderwears'

Entropy is not 'disorder'

Entropy change measures the dispersal of energy (at a specific temperature)..

it is really bewildering to me the amount of folk(professors even) on the tv spouting off such nonsense..

'desks become untidy ' seems a favourite - I just switch off :rolleyes:

honestly you would think the laws that govern the universe were falling apart, the way they speak..

no need to worry All is in perfect Order..

:smiley:

Entropy is not 'disorder'

Entropy change measures the dispersal of energy (at a specific temperature)..

As with all things definition is important. According to google's definition

en·tro·py

/ˈentrəpē/

Noun

1) A thermodynamic quantity representing the unavailability of a system's thermal energy for conversion into mechanical work, often...

2) Lack of order or predictability; gradual decline into disorder.

The problem with popular misuse of a well defined scientific term is that even if it didn't used to mean that thing, popular usage always wins so it becomes a new definition of that thing.

In my line of work the pain is that every different person I speak to (never mind industry) has a different definition of Cycle Time and Lead Time, and I have to show how they are mathematically linked. Sounds like Entropy is out to get you

It seems that entropy rises in the definition of entropy itself. Irony also rises.

:-)