Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

skir

Dark sky sites on or near the Wirral

As per the title really. I'm thinking I'd need to go into north Wales possibly?

Hey skir,

I heard of a place in mid Wales called Shell Island that has lovely dark skies. It isn't an actual Island, but a neighbour went on holiday there with her astronomer son and they could see the milky way from there. Strikes me that could be the place from where you are. Failing that it could be a trip to Kielder or Galloway.

Hi skir, Have a look at the night sky simulator about half way down the page, if you zoom in you will be able to get a general feel for how the pollution reduces as you move from you current location.

http://www.need-less.org.uk/#ukatnightsim

That's a tricky location you're in with Liverpool, Birkenhead and Chester in close proximity, as you say probably a trip to NWales or the Cheshire plain. Do you have a local society that can give you some hints on best locations?

• Like 1

Hi skir, Have a look at the night sky simulator about half way down the page, if you zoom in you will be able to get a general feel for how the pollution reduces as you move from you current location.

http://www.need-less...k/#ukatnightsim

That's a tricky location you're in with Liverpool, Birkenhead and Chester in close proximity, as you say probably a trip to NWales or the Cheshire plain. Do you have a local society that can give you some hints on best locations?

that looks a good site, but sadly I am using a ipad which doesn't have flash on it so I can't see the animations.

Hey skir,

I heard of a place in mid Wales called Shell Island that has lovely dark skies. It isn't an actual Island, but a neighbour went on holiday there with her astronomer son and they could see the milky way from there. Strikes me that could be the place from where you are. Failing that it could be a trip to Kielder or Galloway.

mid-wales is possible for a weekend trip, but I was thinking of places that I can easily do for an evening session.

Im near Porthmadog (temp) and theres dark skies here. (when its not raining) Last year I spent two months near Thurstaston and it was quite good considering the LP from nearby Birkenhead.

Im near Porthmadog (temp) and theres dark skies here. (when its not raining) Last year I spent two months near Thurstaston and it was quite good considering the LP from nearby Birkenhead.

Yes las sometimes do star parties out at thurstaston i've heard. As you say light from liverpool, west kirby etc probably spoils it a bit but that is pretty close to me.

I live in norh wales im looking into sites , im new to all this , stay away from the busy coastline rhyl , colwyn bay , llandudno , bangor head inland less or no light pollution , betws y coed area and around snowdonia is good (so im told ) and also so places in anglesey.Weather hasnt been good so ive not had time to look for myself if i find any i will let you know .

I was thinking perhaps of the horseshoe pass and of course there's a nice car park up there. But not sure how the cafe would view someone being there late at night.

Yes las sometimes do star parties out at thurstaston i've heard. As you say light from liverpool, west kirby etc probably spoils it a bit but that is pretty close to me.

Here's the gen on the latest one.

http://www.visitwirral.com/whats-on/wirral-star-party-p325171

Looking at the light pollution map here ...

http://www.avex-asso.org/dossiers/wordpress/?page_id=127

... seems like it's about as good a spot as one might find without crossing the border into Wales.

• Like 1