SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A newbie to astromony

holly1402

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Mark and welcome aboard :) Don't worry about the scope - you live and learn and it was only a tenner after all which you've got back. If you're after a suggestion about what to choose then you can divide opinion all day long. If it were me, I would look at maybe a Skywatcher 1145P reflector or a Skywatcher Mercury short tube refractor (or similar). Either scope will be small enough to move about, easy enough to use and will give pleasing views of the heavens to see if you take to it. They are also well priced for the optics they give you and will give a good insight into what you can achieve if you choose to upgrade later.

Of course, there are all sorts of other scopes you could choose and in a higher/lower price band. But the best advice I can give with optical instruments like these, is buy the best you can afford. You get what you pay for!!

Good luck :)

Hi Mark,

Gutted that the Tasco & Mount for a tenner didn't work out - for that money it would have been a right bargain and should have given some very passable views. I've brought all my scopes & mounts s/h and only been burnt once on a cheap mount which I wanted as a project - so keep looking and I'm sure you'll find something half decent for not very much money. If in doubt ask here and you'll get a very quick response back on value/performance.

If you want to get out observing on a limited budget, apart from praying to the gods for a break in the weather, a pair of 10x50 bins is well worth a punt.

Good luck on the next one - Jake

Thankyou guys for all your comments ,You all seam so friendly. I have just seen a scope for sale its a Tohyoh 60 x 700 refractor i have tried to google it but not success .

Be glad if someone could let me know what they think.

Thanks again

Mark

Thankyou guys for all your comments ,You all seam so friendly. I have just seen a scope for sale its a Tohyoh 60 x 700 refractor i have tried to google it but not success .

Be glad if someone could let me know what they think.

Thanks again

Mark

Mark, I've never heard of this make. That's not to say that it wont be any good but there are loads of recognised instruments available for the same outlay. Make sure you get a 1.25" EP fitting scope too and not a .965" as 1.25" is the recognised minimum 'best' standard. The next one up is 2".

Up to you :)

Welcome to SGL Mark

unless you get lucky second hand you get what you pay for with optical equipment.

I've never heard of a Tohyon scope, it will be interesting if anyone on here has?

I would look at FLO's website to get an idea for what you can get for your money new and keep an eye on the classifieds on here and also check out Astro buy and sell.

Poor optics have put of many budding astronomers over the years, if you can attend a local astro club then you will see what others use first hand and get a better feel.

There's no rush as the sky isnt going anywhere.

Just had a thought i may go to different places to stargaze ,So i think i should look for a telescope that is easy collapseable . I know there are travel ones but do you loose anything in quality with these. My budget is £150 ish ,I just want the best i can get for this budget .

Hope you guys can help me once again with all your knowledge .

Thanks

Mark

Just had a thought i may go to different places to stargaze ,So i think i should look for a telescope that is easy collapseable . I know there are travel ones but do you loose anything in quality with these. My budget is £150 ish ,I just want the best i can get for this budget .

Hope you guys can help me once again with all your knowledge .

Thanks

Mark

The Skywatcher 130m is around £180 it was my first scope & I loved it, it'll break down to put in a car easily (I travel with my 200p/EQ5) There will be easier one's to travel with though.

Steve

Archived