Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best simple mount for a DSLR for Astrophotography.

Leveye

Hello my first post here. I'm able to get shots like this with my Canon D60 and a 400mm Tokina lens on a regular tripod with a high iso and ready to step up to a tracking mount for the camera to do much longer exposures does anyone have any suggestions i have looked at the skytracker Merlin and the newer astrotrack anyone have any experience with these? I already have a decent tripod so just need the mount and mounting head/wedge and prefer not to use a laptop at this time just want to keep it simple. Many thanks.

post-28595-0-00823100-1359157825_thumb.j

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As well as the proven Astrotrac there's the compact Vixen Polarie, and iOptron have now started making a competitor for that which looks unashamedly similar! These don't have the Astrotrac's capacity but are ultra compact. I've seen a Polarie in action here and, like the Astrtrac, it was impressive. I've yet to see an iOptron.

Olly

I currently use an AstroTrac, like most things it has got some benefits and disadvantages. I bought it 2nd hand so it was a relatively cheap entry into AP. Like you I already had a sturdy tripod and heads.

It is light and fairly quick to set up, can be done in about 10 minutes once you get used to it, though not quick enough before the clouds roll in.

I am however looking into getting a sturdier mount in the future to allow longer exposures but for now will continue using it.

Good luck...

I have had some nice results using a CG5GT and different lenses on a DSLR. But of course any generic driven EQ5 should be OK.

Using a cheap dovetail bar from Astroboot. The camera screwed to the bar using the tripod fixing. A long lens was supported using either a plastic scope clamshell (Astroboot) or drain pipe clamp, both spaced off the bar. With smaller lenses, I fixed the camera boddy only, but turned it through 90 deg. This allowed me to fix a 9x50 RACI finder to the bar making it much easier to verify things were pointed in the right direction.

I already had the CG5 so the additional hardware cost only a few pounds.

Thanks for all the replies this really helps! For those using it what is the maximum exposure time your are you able to pull off with the astrotrac?-

This will depend above all on the focal length. The longer the FL the more precise your tracking has to be. It will depend, to a much lesser extent, on your polar alignment. (In saying that it would be 'to a lesser extent' I'm assuming that we mean the difference between a fair and an excellent alignment, not a totally daft one!) I would expect any of these mounts to give acceptable tracking pretty well indefinitely at 50mm, for instance.

Olly

I saw on here yesterday (will try to find the thread) a guy on here easily gets 20 min subs with 85mm. Put that along side my EQ3 2, I need guiding to get 5 mins..

When you put it like that what the hell am I doing with an EQ3...?!!

Hi I'm using an Astrotrac and regularly get 4 minute subs usings a 200mm lens (16 mins with a 50mm) it's a great bit of kit that can be set up in 5 minutes, It is my most used piece of equipment as it's easy to throw in the car, drive out to a dark site and make the most of the few clear skies we get.

Mel

Like Mel above with the AstroTrac, I can get 4 minute exposures at 200mm, haven't really tried shorter focal lengths for longer exposures but would say that at 50mm, 10 minutes would be fairly easy to achieve. I do use it at 500mm most often but I can only get at most 90 second exposures, though that combination is really quite heavy and polar alignment has to be spot on.

Even at 400mm which is my longest focal length i intend to use 90 second exposures and then stacking would work great i would think. Thanks for all the replies everyone great site because of people like you hats off.

Hi I'm using an Astrotrac and regularly get 4 minute subs usings a 200mm lens (16 mins with a 50mm) it's a great bit of kit that can be set up in 5 minutes, It is my most used piece of equipment as it's easy to throw in the car, drive out to a dark site and make the most of the few clear skies we get.

Mel

Thanks for the quick response these times your getting are guided or unguided? That's more than i need but more is better right? Right!

Have you had a look at this?

http://www.cloudynig...73/Main/5487796

Awesome links thank so much! The "Eyebell"..lol looks interesting i just think i want a bit more for my almost 500 dollars worth there if you add all the goodies to it. 500 thats my limit here. If the iOptron smart eq pro came without a tripod and was mountable on any camera/video tripod or your choice it would be perfect for my purposes i think. again thanks for this really helps!

I see that there's a Vixen Photo Guider on AB&S at a very tempting £285 (not mine, I hasten to add). That's a lot of kit for no much money and if had spare money I'd be after it ina flash: http://www.astrobuys....php?view=65325

But I'm not sure how much postage to Oregon would cost...

Such a deal! If i lived there i would buy this right now. Most likely over 120 us dollars or so to ship i would think thanks for the link

The Vixen Polarie is so portable but including the 2 head tripod is 629 and then adding the polar scope is another 249! Thats almost 1k for a unit that fits in your hand and only holds 3kg the price you pay for portability i guess.

OK so you want to know what an Astrotrac will do, here is an image of the Andromeda Galaxy I shot whilst on holiday in Scotland last September.

It's 36 frames of 3 minutes each with a 300mm F4L lens, taken with a modded Canon 600D at 1600 iso with no filters (it was very dark site)

With No Guiding!

I used to have a CG5-GT and without guiding I could only get 45sec from that plus it took ages to set up and weighed x5 as much, an Astrotrac

looks expensive but it's worth every penny.

Mel

8421729946_fd9a02a867_o.jpg

I agree with Mel, personally I'd stick to something tried, tested and trusted. Until I see actual results from any of those mounts listed earlier I wouldn't part with any money. All the shots in my gallery were taken with my (unguided) AstroTrac, sure, they are not award winning, but I am more than happy with them and if it wasn't for the terrible weather we are having it would have many more examples.

Everything barring the tripod fits inside a £29 knock-off Peli case I got from Maplin so it is very portable.

gallery_27141_2284_1607768.jpg

OK so you want to know what an Astrotrac will do, here is an image of the Andromeda Galaxy I shot whilst on holiday in Scotland last September.

It's 36 frames of 3 minutes each with a 300mm F4L lens, taken with a modded Canon 600D at 1600 iso with no filters (it was very dark site)

With No Guiding!

I used to have a CG5-GT and without guiding I could only get 45sec from that plus it took ages to set up and weighed x5 as much, an Astrotrac

looks expensive but it's worth every penny.

Mel

8421729946_fd9a02a867_o.jpg

I have no words here but simply stunning work Bravo! Your canon is modded in what way Infrared?

I agree with Mel, personally I'd stick to something tried, tested and trusted. Until I see actual results from any of those mounts listed earlier I wouldn't part with any money. All the shots in my gallery were taken with my (unguided) AstroTrac, sure, they are not award winning, but I am more than happy with them and if it wasn't for the terrible weather we are having it would have many more examples.

Everything barring the tripod fits inside a £29 knock-off Peli case I got from Maplin so it is very portable.

gallery_27141_2284_1607768.jpg

AMAZING! You have my award which lens and sensor used here?

Archived