SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

12 inch dob question

I recently posted about getting a new purely observation scope and am going to get a 12 inch dob later this year, having never used a dob before it is certainly daunting... I just have a question or two.

When I am looking through and the objects passes the field of view is there any way to slowly follow it as I have heavy hands, especially in the cold :D and if I try to move the whole tube surely my DSO will just disappear out of view and back to square one of finding it again.

As previously said, I have only ever used an EQ mount, the HEQ5 that I have nearly saved for will only take 250p but ideally I would like the 300p if not the 350 dob later in the year just for observational use.

Are there any videos or articles covering the mechanics more thoroughly of a dobsonian anywhere? I would prefer it not to be GOTO so manual moving of the tube is really what Im after but how do you guys go about it accurately with the bigger scopes

You should not find it too hard to nudge the scope to keep the object in view, even at high magnification, and it quickly becomes second nature.

With a good dobsonian you won't see much vibration as you track an object.

One of the reasons the very wide field of view eyepieces are popular with dob users, though, is the object stays in field longer, so you will probably find yourself tempted towards those naglers and ethos'.

Callum

honestly, you need not worry. a well adjusted and balanced dob is easy and intuitive to use. after a few minutes you'll wonder what you were worrying about.

my method even at 300x is to put the object to the right of field and then watch as it drifts across the field then put it back to the right. it's effortless and easy.

Good posts above, but I think it all comes down to how smooth the Dob movements are.

If they are 'sticky' it's very unpleasant, but if the movements are nice and smooth, then it's a dream, after a while you don't even think about it, just automatic, just like steering a car, something you do without effort.

A sticky Dob can put you off for life, a smooth one will win you over as to why anyone would choose something else for visual astronomy.

So make sure you get a Dob with smooth movements, or learn how to sort it if things are not what they should be.

Regards, Ed.

Archived