tmb planetary eps

nicks90

hi folks,

i recently upgraded my standard celestron eye pieces with a couple of high mag genuine orthos, a meade 4000 series sp and a classic japan kellner 25mm. Compared to the 20 and 10mm celestron efforts, they are ace - especially the 25mm kellner!

However, I am a glasses wearer and I find looking at the tiny pin [removed word] lenses too uncomfortable for long periods of time. The only way I can do it is to remove my specs and refocus the eps, but even then they aint the most comfortable things to look through with such tight eye relief. Plus its a pain popping glasses on and off in the dark when looking through the ep and back to sky etc.

Looking at selling my orthos and upgrading to a couple of TMB planetary II eps, probably a 6.5mm and 9mm - mainly because they are in the right price range, seem to get good reviews and have a nice big eye lense to look through with good eye relief. Also having a 58deg fov is better than the ortho and plossl. On occassion these will also be used with a x2 TAL barlow to really zoom in for jupiter etc.

BUT

i get that these are good on planets - hence their name - but are they any good for dso?

I have a fairly fast newt (astrom 130) and they will give x70mag and x100mag which should be good for splitting some doubles and looking at clusters and stuff - but if they bring on the suck for this type of viewing, then I will have to have a rethink.

as usual, any advice would be much appreciated!

nick

Nick

I have used the genuine TMB Planetarys as well as the clones on Ebay. The genuine examples were pretty good but the clones I was less than impressed with. Unless you intend going for the genuine parts, I would recommend going for the BST/Starguider range of eps instead, in fact I would go with them regardless. I haven't used them but they get consistantly good feedback on the forum.

PS. The planetary label on the TMB is just marketing hype, they will work equally well on any celestial object.

I was trying out a TMB II (clone) and BST of about the same focal length a couple of nights back. The BST was slightly the better, equally the TMB delivered more magnification and the scope isn't much good at magnification - short achro. And the difference was small, small enough that the extra magnification may have been the cause for the difference.

Would still say the BST won but until I have the same focal lengths it is still a bit subjective.

PS. The planetary label on the TMB is just marketing hype, they will work equally well on any celestial object.

These eyepieces come in a good range of focal lengths and are easy to use, so are suitable for viewing a wide range of objects, but I do not think that they are actually very good for planets. I see more planetary detail with other eyepieces, and for me they generate a distracting ghost image of the planet that you are observing.

Archived