Narrowband

First light last night

ben_e71

So driving home last night noticed half the sky was clear over Sussex with Orion really clear. Walked in door grabbed scope and kids and went through first ever alignment. Worked straight off. Then spent an enjoyable 30 mins with the kids looking at the moon and Jupiter and Betelgeuse.

Managed to see three moons of Jupiter.

Scope is a Nexstar 4 SE and images were bright and sharp but not huge. EP is 25mm plossl. So my question is if I want more magnification do I get a Barlow or a different EP. Thanks all

A 2 X Barlow will work fine with the 25mm (it will double the magnification of your 25mm so the craters on the moon will look great).

Dont get too cheap a one though as you do loose clarity with Barlows - My old one cost about £25 and worked fine.

I did end up spending a lot more on one but thats beacuse I intend upgrading my scope in the next couple of years to the 8SE

Hope this helps :smiley:

Got a better run at it today having got a Celestron Omni 2x Barlow as well. I have to say good views but disappointed with the Barlow. What I've found is that in use with the 25mm plossl that comes as standard, it gives a very arrow band of focus ( what I mean by this is that you have to be like a very fine safe breaker minutely moving the focussing knob by mm to get in focus. Also I am finding that I get a lot more eclipsing of the image with the Barlow, what I mean by this is that I'm not getting a full circle view through the EP.

so I'm thinking the way forward is to actually get a 12 mm EP instead.

Interested in your views.

I have two extra eyepieces for my 4SE: a 13mm and an 8mm, giving magnifications of 102x and 165x respectively. With the 53x provided by the supplied 25mm, I find I have a pretty good range: 53x for DSOs, 102x for planetary and lunar, and 165x for lunar detail (and planets if seeing is exceptionally good).

Keep me informed how you get on - always good to hear from another 4SE owner - they're great little scopes.

Archived