SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What can I see 8 inch dob

Hi guys,

Just wondering if someone could list some of the best things I can see at the moment. I have a 8 inch dob and so far have only seen the moon Jupiter and the Orion Nebula. What are say the ten best objects to search for in the skies at the moment.

Thanks

It depends on how dark your sky is.

M31, the Andromeda galaxy is perhaps the most obvious target but two other galaxy pairings you could try are M81 and M82 in Ursa Major and M65 and M66 in Leo.

M35 is a nice bright open cluster in Gemini. There are some great clusters in Casseopeia. M52, NGC 457, NGC 663 and NGC 7789 are all good examples.

A nice globular cluster that rises a little later is M3 in Canes Venatici.

I would suggest reading "Turn Left at Orion" to give you an idea of what you can see and what to expect.

Happy hunting!

Just got Turn left at orion, had a quick look through, seems like it will help me plans my nights from now on :) for at least a year or 2 until i look for the harder ones,

One thing i am unsure of is how to see all the planets, i have found Jupiter and saturn where do i go from here ?

You'll have to wait for them to rise during the night/away from the sun. Look up dates on the internet. Venus and Mercury are inherently dawn/early evening objects since they lie closer to teh sun than us and we always see them close to the sun. The rest will rise and fall over the course of the year. Happy hunting!

Archived