Narrowband

Am I alone in my self doubt about spending on astro gear in our climate???

kirkster501

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed Baz, that's why my WO66 and photo tripod is my most used kit. About 2 minutes to setup to make the most of breaks in the cloud.

The 106mm is more of an effort so I do keep thinking of an 80mm ish scope to fill the gap....... But that would be another scope and I already have too many. Need to sell a couple first.

Stu

I saw the sun for the first time in 3 weeks yesterday. It was a rather pleasant experience and it was only a fleeting visit. However when i went outside to knock icicles off the guttering (don't ask!) at about 8pm, it was lovely and clear. I grabbed the Mak which had been in the garage and had a happy hour re-aquainting myself with the night sky.

As has already been mentioned in this thread, visual or imaging in these isles is difficult, but even though I'm relatively new to this hobby, I don't think I'd have it any other way..

I like both visual and imaging, but for me, what has rescued Winter has been a solid tube 10 inch dob. Imaging has been a minor disaster for me, especially as I don't have an obsy.

The dob takes literatlly ten seconds to put out and set up. Somtimes I feel shattered when I get back from work and the weather forecast usually looks very iffy. I wonder if I can be bothered to make any effort to pop a telescope out, just in case it clears. Then I tell myself it takes ten seconds to put the dob outside, so 95% of the time I do pop it out, and we've caught the odd clear hour that has been really enjoyable.

I like a solid tube if it is for home use only, because no messing with a shroud, I find the secondary mirror is deeper and less dew prone than a flextube, and collimation holds well for months / years (probably just me, but I always need to collimate flextubes, some people seem to have the knack of dropping it in the same place, I must get some tips at SGL).

I do love flextubes as well, they are awesome and we have the 16 inch, our third flextube. Very good optics in my view and of course brilliant for just about fitting into the car :)

The bad weather has in a way encouraged us to spend, on a solar scope. I didn't think we would get one this year, we've been tempted for ages having had some spectacular views through solar scopes at star parties. Hopefully we've just doubled our chances of being able to get some viewing in and now maybe I won't dread summer quite as much!

The only doubts I have about astronomy at present are which mount do I decide to buy? I could opt for the simplicity and cheaper cost of an AZ4 with steel legs for my TAL100R. Or I could go for a SkyTee II on a tripod...more cash, could easily cope with the TAL and give me the option of mounting a second telescope too (hmmm, maybe compare my 100R to a 100RS :) ). Final, and most expensive, option is to enter the world of goto with a HEQ5 Pro Synscan....this could take my 200P dob OTA for finding those faint fuzzies, and it would hardly notice the TAL. Then maybe, just maybe, step up to a bigger achro....perhaps a TAL125R???

The stars have been there a long time, and they're going to be there for a long time to come. I know they're waiting for me behind the clouds and I can wait for those nights when we can renew our friendship :)

Hi kirkster501,

No you're not alone in sometimes thinking this way but I reckon your interest in astronomy will always shine through, but it's getting the right gear for viewing that you are going to be able to use often enough. When I was recently sorting through my astro gear, that's two large boxes full of accessories by the way not counting the tripods and other cases I have accumulated, I realised that 'retail therapy' while argueably excusable because of the poor weather this year (and psychologically comforting) is not the way to go. Looking back over the last 7 years I realise I have bought equipment that while genuinely of interest/use to me has not, in practice, ever payed for itself in the amount of use I have had from it, and most of these are ap related items. This is the main reason I have graduated to observing mostly with good binoculars-quick set up, great for learning more about the night sky and very portable. I find I can squeeze in minutes of observing in between the clouds and keep up my enthusiasm. I do hope you decide to stay in the astronomy fold.

Cheers,

Steve

I'm new to the hobby and my first - and only - hour of stargazing was utterly miserable; the conditions were awful.

I'm not giving up, but I am thinking of hiding the scope in the wardrobe while the sky is cloudy, just so that I don't have to exchange anguished glances with it.

The upside of having no scope-time is that I've had plenty of time to read around the subject.

One good night for me makes up for a month of bad weather. Besides, if I would go out every other night my GF will probably start complaining. The bad weather allows for a life besides astronomy :)

I know that feeling!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I agree that it's frustrating as hell. However, the good nights definitely make up for it when they come. Also, although it seems like it'll never change at the moment, it definitely will.

I love this hobby. The fact that there's so much to be done in the way of setting up an imaging rig (which is what I'm trying to do at the moment!) means that've always got something to fiddle with in lieu of a clear night for now.

Looking forward to the point where I can actually USE the stuff though :)

If I had the cash, I'd invest it in another dob to replace the one I upgraded to an HEQ5, just for quick sessions.

Either that, or I'll do women like produce a mod that enables me to bung it back on the dob base when needed. We'll see!

I admit that 2012 was a very poor year with lots of cloudy nights but I have just counted up that I logged 70 observing sessions with 7 in daylight. I don't log every session because sometimes I just go out and use binoculars. I think an observatory has helped because some nights I have had to slide the roof closed to wait for a shower of rain to pass and then resume the session. I also have two main observing sites, one at home in Shropshire and the other on the North Wales coast. Also I notice that when we are scheduled to go out for the evening of wining and dining then the skies suddenly seem to clear. As others have said the rewards you get from one good night seem to outweigh the cloudy nights.

I'm new to the hobby and my first - and only - hour of stargazing was utterly miserable; the conditions were awful.

I'm not giving up, but I am thinking of hiding the scope in the wardrobe while the sky is cloudy, just so that I don't have to exchange anguished glances with it.

The upside of having no scope-time is that I've had plenty of time to read around the subject.

That's another advantage of the many cloudy nights, you get to read a lot and spend some time on various forums to acquire targets and goals for the next outing. Last time I was out, After 2,5 hours I ran out of targets and things to see, just because I wasn't prepared enough and a general n00b. With three weeks of solid clouds, now, I'm REALLY prepared, haha.

I've only been doing astronomy for 10 months now and I learnt more from Stellarium than looking through my scope I really feel now that the £1500 could have been spent more wisely on a different pastime/hobby

Hiya starnut, I was just chuckling to myself about your avatar and then I made the connection with someone over on yacf, where I'm PaulR.

If I had the cash, I'd invest it in another dob to replace the one I upgraded to an HEQ5, just for quick sessions.

Either that, or I'll do women like produce a mod that enables me to bung it back on the dob base when needed. We'll see!

I use my 250PX on it's Dob base most of the time, then simply strap on a pair of scope rings and a dovetail to heft it onto my NEQ6 for AP. There is no 'modification' necessary.

I use my 250PX on it's Dob base most of the time, then simply strap on a pair of scope rings and a dovetail to heft it onto my NEQ6 for AP. There is no 'modification' necessary.

I am coming to my senses I think and will buy the kit after all. Maybe a temporary downer i was on.

Rik, can the NEQ6 handle the 250 tube like that for AP? A most interesting idea. I am getting a C9.25 and was also looking at a 300p Dob in addition for visual. But a 250 Dob will not be far behind a 300P and would offer this most useful capability in a dual purpose role.... Interested to know more Rik....... Where do you get the rings and dovetail for a 250 tube?

Thanks, Steve

EDIT: http://www.firstligh...tube-rings.html

Interesting.... What parts would be needed to attach a DSLR to the Newt do you know? I can research this. Would a 10" Newt be a good choice for AP? I could kick start this theme off over in the imaging section.

I've only been doing astronomy for 10 months now and I learnt more from Stellarium than looking through my scope I really feel now that the £1500 could have been spent more wisely on a different pastime/hobby

I've long learnt that it's unwise to divide the cash outlay for a hobby by the hours of use ! Unless you keep the gear for ages then it's not such a bad return ;-)

I've removed the dob bearings from mine as they seriously restricted my eyepiece positioning when using it on the HEQ5, meaning I had to use ladders and all sorts to get to the eyepiece and maki g balancing more difficult.

I've removed the dob bearings from mine as they seriously restricted my eyepiece positioning when using it on the HEQ5, meaning I had to use ladders and all sorts to get to the eyepiece and maki g balancing more difficult.

Ah, yes, not so easy then! I only ever stick a camera on mine when it is up on the EQ.

I've long learnt that it's unwise to divide the cash outlay for a hobby by the hours of use ! Unless you keep the gear for ages then it's not such a bad return ;-)

Agree 100% with this statement. Your astro kit will be usable long after your iPhone's battery has leaked and melted all the electronics within.

Kirkster, ask yourself this question: If you go for the carbon framed road bike instead of the scope, then how will you feel on the next spell of clear nights?

Plus, unless your Bradley Wiggins, the difference between carbon fibre and light alloy bike is minimal in terms of performance.

When I started observing (only 5 months ago I think) there was a spell of really clear weather. I thought that was the norm! I couldn't believe that I had never got into stargazing before with the constellations being so prominent above my head.

Now I am starting to see that it can be a frustrating hobby. It seems that you are always dodging either the clouds or the stupid moon. I would never have guessed the thing would be such a pest.

Has this put me off spending? No its quite the opposite! The way I see it, ideal conditions are fairly rare so you want gear that makes the most of them. And cloudy nights are a good opportunity to do other things - its a self regulating hobby in that its difficult to do it so much you get bored!

I would love to know how typical the recent weather is... my guess is that although its not 'freak' weather, it has been unusually cloudy this Dec and Jan.

I'm with you on this one Kirkster... It seems ages ago since i've been out with my scope, I only seem to take out the bin's and i can see a fair bit with tho's. I like you have decided to get a new bike to replace my old Claud Butler, I'm sticking with the Claud Butler but i'm getting one with a better gear set.. the new one's coming out mid March, and that's when i'm getting it ( assuming i'm impressed with it ). But i won't be selling the Astro gear, I don't think i could ever be without it i love it when i can get out there, It's a beautiful interest to have... I love it!. :laugh:

I like to think astronomy is one of the spectacular rewarding hobby yes the cloud gets me down but the fleeting moments of a good view of the heavens is a real boost. I am a newbi to the hobby and have several other hobbies ham radio, mainly building radio equipment. But I love the astronomical bent for hacking USB web cams etc.

Andy

Plus, unless your Bradley Wiggins, the difference between carbon fibre and light alloy bike is minimal in terms of performance.

CF is not just about the weight, it's more about reducing vibration and road fatigue - it makes a big difference on 60+ mile rides. Aluminium frames, even with carbon forks vibrates your hands to bits.

Anyway, not buying a bike - I came to my senses and will reinvest the money in astro. I am sure this weather can't go on much longer (can it?)....

Archived