SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

10 and 17 Plossl, what other size ?

SteveRob

Just been checking through my kit and I can only find these 2 EP's and a 2X Barlow, anyone any ideas as to what 1 or maybe 2 EP's would be best to get.

I'm thinking 25 as a first one, is that a good idea? I could have sworn I had that one but can't seem to find it, unless I lost it last time I used my scope.

Cheers

Steve

Steve,

Fistly welcome to SGL from me in Bulgaria.

It would be useful to all if we knew what scope you had so we can work out the magnificatios you would get from various eyepieces. However whatever scope you have a 25mm will not go amiss.

It would also be nice if we knew what money you wanted to spend and what you wanted to do with it, ie DSO or planetry?

Alan.

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the welcome,

Sorry I haven't put my scope and other bits details in at the bottom, I haven't figured out how to do that yet!! Iv'e got a Konusmotor 130 that came with the 10 + 17 Plossl EP's, I bought a 25 but lost it I think.

From memory the scope is 1000mm (its the short tube one) and is f8, I would like to do both Planetry and DSO if possible, at the moment I don't have a lot of money to play with, so that is a consideration.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

Hi there,

With your scope, your current eyepieces give you magnifications of 61x and 104x. I would suggest that a lower magnification eyepiece such as a 25mm (42x) or even a 32mm (33x) would be a good addition plus a 2x barlow lens which would double up the magnifications given by each each eyepiece so, if you go for a 25mm eyepiece, using the barlow would add magnifications of 84x, 122x and 208x to your set. That would give you a good range from low power to the highest that would be useful.

I reckon you should be able to get a 25mm plossl and a 2x barlow lens for around £60 new or less, if you buy secondhand.

Hi Alan and John,

Many thanks for the advice, its been most helpful, I even managed to put the scope / etc details in my sig as you can see.

I've seen both an Antares and a Skywatcher 25mm Plossl on a few websites @ about £22, seem cheap enough, any recommendation as to which one to buy or any others about that price you may know of, btw my 2X barlow is an Antares.

Cheers

Steve

Steve,

Don't worry about it, I am still trying to work out how to do things, I had to ask to do what you have done so far. I did however manage to get a photo at the bottom of one of my reviews and the one that I posted yesterday I managed 3 photos, just need to work out how to put them where I want them now.

Anyway enjoy your eyepieces, if the weather will let you.

Alan.

Hi Alan,

I've just ordered the Skywatcher 25mm (SP) Plossl from FLO, expect it here early next week, excellent reviews on FLO's service on SGL did it for me.

Just the weather now, snowed again last night its raining at the mo and washing it all away finally.

Now for the "clear skies" lol.

Cheers

Steve

Archived