SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Clouds, !!!!?

t0ny

Just asked FLO what I need and whether they think ill have focus issues. Hopefully there is a stock answer that will give me a definitive answer for my scope!

Every hobby I try always gets way more complicated than I though :)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could do a bit of experimentation to see if you can find the focal plane of the scope with a 2x barlow in place and measure it all. I don't know about Nikons, but the distance from the front flange to the sensor on the EOS cameras is 44mm (IIRC). I believe that if you get an image in focus with an eyepiece then the focal plane is in the same position as the field stop in the eyepiece. If you can move the focuser in so you have the flange-to-sensor depth for the Nikon plus the thickness of the T2 converter (about 15mm?) between the position of the focal plane and the top of the barlow then you may well be ok.

I've never tried this with a newt myself, mind. I've seen it done by others (so I must know how it works, right? :D. Could be worth asking in a separate thread with a subject more likely to pick up readers who have a 150P and have tried to use it for DSLR imaging?

James

Here is the reply from FLO:

'Hi Tony, The 150P has direct DSLR connection the 130P has the problem with focus, all you need is the T Ring for your camera, what you do is remove the black part of the focusing tube that has the eyepiece holder and then you thread the T Ring to this then attach camera to the T Ring'

Here is the reply from FLO:

'Hi Tony, The 150P has direct DSLR connection the 130P has the problem with focus, all you need is the T Ring for your camera, what you do is remove the black part of the focusing tube that has the eyepiece holder and then you thread the T Ring to this then attach camera to the T Ring'

Well that sounds rather promising :)

James

Hi i just went out for a quick look as there were some nice stars out , even thos there were fast moving clouds and winds up to 15 mph, but my garden is well sheltered,

Anyway i put in my brand new celestron x cel lx into my skywatcher 8 dob skyliner, and looked at jupiter, the edges on it looks all wavey and distorted ?

i then looked at the moon and the edges of that also looked destorted,

Is there something wrong with my eyepiece, or could it be the wind or clouds? i have never experienced this before in the few times i have taken it out,

thanks

Lovely clear skies here down in Kent at the moment! According to the Meteogroup forecast on the Weatherpro app, it's going to be broken cloud from 5pm and a risk of rain from about 9pm onwards though.

Maybe it will be a clear night then!

More likely atmospheric conditions.

How long had your scope been outside for?

Warm air currents in the tube can cause huge distortions.

About an hour,

It was raining all day and we had high winds down here with slates falling of roofs before i took the scope out, the clouds were moving over very fast, but there was clear sky inbetween,

Just concerened i spent £69 on a brand new 7mm x celestron lx eyepeice and it was not a good first impression :(

According to the forecasts we have clear skies from tomorrow midday until nearly midnight! However Top Gear and Wonders will drag me inside at about 8, so a good 2 hours viewing hopefully!

I have to say that not even a live broadcast of the excruciating torture of Simon Cowell would persuade me to watch television in preference to spending time observing. And note that I'm not talking about X-Factor here. That's excruciating torture by Simon Cowell.

James

I have to say that not even a live broadcast of the excruciating torture of Simon Cowell would persuade me to watch television in preference to spending time observing. And note that I'm not talking about X-Factor here. That's excruciating torture by Simon Cowell.

James

The fact that they're my two favorite shows and I cannot record them nor watch them on iplayer is forcing me to watch them instead of observe!

Clouds here for 9 nights straight now. I did see Jupiter through some thinner cloud a couple of nights ago but wasn't worth getting bins out for.

Do you think astronomy is so popular in the UK because we really appreciate it when we actually get a clear sky?

So we decided to go out for a meal with friends, what with the terrible clouds that have been hanging since lunchtime.

Just got to restaurant, a full moon shining in a clear sky...

...I'm going to drink too much now!

Archived