Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

DonRemus

Phenix 150 reflector - any good?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Phenix-D150F1400-Catadioptric-Newtonian-Reflector-telescope-set-/380482010807?refid=store

Anyone own/used one of these? I am looking for a scope. This is cheaper than a 130mm Skywatcher so am a little hesitatnt especially after a post I read the other day about the Celestron shortcomings vs Skywatcher here

Is this a deal 'too good to be true'?

Any advice appreciated

http://www.ebay.co.u...807?refid=store

Anyone own/used one of these? I am looking for a scope. This is cheaper than a 130mm Skywatcher so am a little hesitatnt especially after a post I read the other day about the Celestron shortcomings vs Skywatcher here http://stargazerslou...r-explorer-130/

Is this a deal 'too good to be true'?

Any advice appreciated

Give Alan @ Sky's The Limit an email or a call, it's him who is selling them :).

(sales@skysthelimit.org.uk)

Give Alan @ Sky's The Limit an email or a call, it's him who is selling them :).

(sales@skysthelimit.org.uk)

Thanks but am looking for impartial advice, I wouldn't expect a seller to reveal any possible negatives

The Skywatcher 130 is a better telescope than the 150/1400. A lot of people start with the 130P and are very pleased with it, the 150/1400 is sold under various brand names and has some shortcomings in the optical design.

• Like 1

As I understand it, the focal length is originally much shorter but effectively has a built in barlow. Just because of the focal length, I'd prefer the 130P, much better for wide views.

• Like 1

Is this one better with 1400mm focal length?

It will probably be the same one with a different brand to be honest.

Is this one better with 1400mm focal length?

Not really. These scopes use a corrector lens in the base of the drawtube to achieve the focal length and negate a spherical, rather than parabolic, primary mirror.

These things are difficult to collimate (ie: keep the optics aligned) and just don't seem to be able to deliver sharp images. That example has rather thick secondary supports and there are three of them leading to distracting star diffraction patterns.

I'd stick to Skywatcher, Meade or Celestron brands. They are tried and tested and popular for good reason.

• Like 1

Thanks folks, neither of these will be seeing the colour of my money. Leaning towards a dob 150 or 200 if budget allows

Cheers that settles it. In this age of information you would have thought these manufacturers and retailers would have realised information about duff products is freely available.

I noticed on the Phenix that they appear to have solid metal spider veins.....how do you collimate????....Go for the Skywatcher or Celesron, Meade are overpriced imo

Grab the Skywatcher and save your self a lot of grief ! .

For starters the mount/tripod on these 'Phenix' scopes are RUBBISH !!! sorry to say and will put you observing pleasure at ZERO !! very fast .

The 150mm f/1400 means the OTA has a built in Barlow type lense of rubbish quality built into the focuser ( below where the eyepiece is fitted ) and every one of these I have seen ( about 6 off these now ) has been so sub standard optically they are a joke ! they put these in the optical path to extend the focal length to hide the truth that the mirror is only spherical and a mirror thats really working at f/4.5 and spherical in shape would be horrible to look thru without the barlow to bring it to f/9ish . The views are always dimm and wont focus properly , you Will get sick of it very fast .

As said grab the SW as they are a true parabolic shape and give way better views and save your self wasiting money on a DOG !!! .

Sorry to be blunt , but thats the truth of it .

Oh yes I removed the inbuilt barlow from one of these once ... Mistake !!! even using a $400 Telvue Nagler 11mm the outer 60% of the field of view would not come to focus, and a 15mm Plossl was horrible out to 75% or so ! .. as I said RUBBISH !! .

Brian.

• Like 1

Cheers that settles it. In this age of information you would have thought these manufacturers and retailers would have realised information about duff products is freely available.

This is true but I think lots of folks do buy without much research, unfortunately. And these poorer scopes do look the part to the inexperienced eye and the blurb that goes with them is seems impressive so I'm not surprised that many are sold.

Feedback on e.bay is usually given soon after the sale and not months later when the buyer has realised "all that glistens is not gold" :undecided:

If Skys the limit are selling the product you can bet that its a very good product Alan tests all products himself he will not sell anything duff. If you are not happy with a purchase from him he will exchange or refund no questions asked.

If Skys the limit are selling the product you can bet that its a very good product Alan tests all products himself he will not sell anything duff. If you are not happy with a purchase from him he will exchange or refund no questions asked.

The refund offer is of some value perhaps but I don't believe all the stuff for sale from that seller is good quality. Sorry to disagree.

• Like 2

The refund offer is of some value perhaps but I don't believe all the stuff for sale from that seller is good quality. Sorry to disagree.

I agree with you John, Phenix is not a quality make and I have a distinct dislike of cats like this, at least the advert states what it really is, unlike some other retailers. Butter to go for Sky Watcher in my view, you know you can rely on the quality.

• Like 1

I agree with you John, Phenix is not a quality make and I have a distinct dislike of cats like this, at least the advert states what it really is, unlike some other retailers. Butter to go for Sky Watcher in my view, you know you can rely on the quality.

I agree go for a well known make but if you have 100% positive feedback you cant be selling that much rubbish or people would complain. Id buy Skywatcher as i cant find any information about the scope, i can Phenix they do optics but that doesnt mean they can build good scopes, a review of the 150./750 one in sky at night magazine doesnt get a good write up only gets 73%.

Thanks folks, much appreciated.

This http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4170495417 just appeared

Anyone know if it's any good (Helios were taken over by Skywatcher?)

At least this one is on a tried and proven EQ3-2 mount , as I said a much better mount and tripod but the seller does not mention its focal length ?

If you could contact him and find out what it is ? .It should be only about f4.5 - f5 , eg 650-750mm fl not the outrageous 1400mm Troutwith the built in barlow .

Good luck , it looks the goods .

Brian.

From what I've seen on Google I think the Explorer was the 750 and the Apollo the 1400.

Cheers for the advice.