SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Baader Classics - the story so far ....

John

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And thanks John for the continuing reviews much appreciated.

Thanks

No problem - it's fun to have the chance to try these things and report back :smiley:

@ Astro_Baby: I reckon the coatings must have a lot to do with it - the BCO's look similar to the BGO's but are slightly paler. The glass types and quality used possibly have an impact too although I'm sure the BGO's are top flight in this respect too.

@ Richardisgreat: Assuming I was paying the new prices, I'd go for the BCO over the Circle-T. The latter though can be bought used for very low prices and do perform very well too so that could change the equation a little if I was on a tight budget :smiley:

Maybe the used prices of Circle-T's will start to climb though, now that their production is at an end ?

In my original post in this thread I was uncertain what the plastic extension piece that comes with the 32mm Classic plossl was for:

"...The Classic 32mm Plossl comes with removable plastic extension tube which adds around 10mm to the eye-top of eye lens distance. The eye lens is already recessed a good 15mm or so though. I guess this extension is to help find optimum eye position although I found that did not have a problem doing this without this little accessory..."

I think I've worked out what it's for. When you use a barlow lens with an eyepiece, as well as increasing the magnification, the eye relief of the eyepiece is extended. This can be beneficial in the case of short focal length eyepieces which would otherwise have short eye relief as it makes them more comfortable to use. For long focal length eyepieces the effect can make the correct eye position awkward to find and hold however as it may be some distance above the eye cup. "Hovering" the eye at the right point can be tiresome and also other lights in the vicinity can cause distraction and reduce the contrast of the view. The above plastic extension tube moves the top of the eyepiece and eyecup up around 10mm which may well be expressly to alleviate problems with extended eye relief and make the barlowed 32mm Classic plossl much more pleasant to use. I'll be putting this theory to the test at the next opportunity :smiley:

Baader gear is usually thoughtfully designed so it would not surprise me if this the purpose of this little accessory.

Here's a thought :smiley:

From what I've seen, albeit with a limited amount of use due to the weather, The Baader Classics are, overall, very good optically for their price. Using the 2.25x barlow with the 4 eyepieces gives another set of 4 focal lengths of which 3 will be useful and one, marginal but of some use to those with short focal length scopes for high power viewing. I'm going to test it some more but the Baader Q-Turret barlow seems to be one of those that adds magnification but little in the way of negative effect to the image.

The price of the set (4 eyepieces + the barlow) is £190. This gives you the following focal lengths: 32mm, 18mm, 14.2mm, 10mm, 8mm, 6mm, 4.4mm and 2.7mm. This is using the barlow conventionally - using the barlow optical element screwed into the eyepiece barrels gives another set of focal lengths with a 1.3x amplification factor (I've not tested this as yet).

Assuming that you are happy with i) a "normal" field of view rather than wide or super wide ii) that you don't wear glasses when observing and iii) that you don't mind using a barlow as needed, you are paying £23.75 for each of the above focal lengths plus the further possibilities of the barlow element used directly with the eyepieces.

Not a bad deal really :smiley:

Edit: Did anyone spot my deliberate mistake ? - I've not included the price of the barlow in the above figure. It's £235 with the barlow so £29.38 per focal length. Sorry about that :undecided:

John, I know you have had not a great amount of time with them ornfer the sort of skies you would wish for, Lord how I know that I am still waiting to first light a pile of stuff, but I was wondering...do you think the apparently beighter image maye have something go do with the increased field stop ?

In my original post in this thread I was uncertain what the plastic extension piece that comes with the 32mm Classic plossl was for:

"...The Classic 32mm Plossl comes with removable plastic extension tube which adds around 10mm to the eye-top of eye lens distance. The eye lens is already recessed a good 15mm or so though. I guess this extension is to help find optimum eye position although I found that did not have a problem doing this without this little accessory..."

I think I've worked out what it's for. When you use a barlow lens with an eyepiece, as well as increasing the magnification, the eye relief of the eyepiece is extended. This can be beneficial in the case of short focal length eyepieces which would otherwise have short eye relief as it makes them more comfortable to use. For long focal length eyepieces the effect can make the correct eye position awkward to find and hold however as it may be some distance above the eye cup. "Hovering" the eye at the right point can be tiresome and also other lights in the vicinity can cause distraction and reduce the contrast of the view. The above plastic extension tube moves the top of the eyepiece and eyecup up around 10mm which may well be expressly to alleviate problems with extended eye relief and make the barlowed 32mm Classic plossl much more pleasant to use. I'll be putting this theory to the test at the next opportunity :smiley:

Baader gear is usually thoughtfully designed so it would not surprise me if this the purpose of this little accessory.

I've just been testing the 32mm plossl + 2.25x barlow combo and the extension tube does indeed put your eye at the right position for the extended eye relief that the barlow creates. The barlow does seem to vignette the edges of the field of view of the 32mm plossl slightly though.

@ Astro_Baby: I'm not sure if the wider field is a factor or not to be honest. The exit pupil of the eyepieces of the same focal length won't change and, as I understand it, that's where the light is bought to focus.

I'll give it some more though and compare some more !

How does the plossl compare directly with other plossls?

Leaving aside the previously mentioned slightly narrower FOV over the majority of plossls how is it optically. Does it do what Baader's Orthos do? By which I mean punch well above their wieght performance wise.

Sorry John, I think we are over working you somewhat, :rolleyes:

It sounds like the plossl is a very good example of it's breed. For the money, it might be difficult to do better. What's putting you off?

I don't think that there is anything about it that's putting me off just sort of mulling over other options I have in mind. It does seem to be a very good and I am interested guess i'm a bit indecisive. With so many options, and having to budget, it can be difficult.

Thanks.

I don't think that there is anything about it that's putting me off just sort of mulling over other options I have in mind. It does seem to be a very good and I am interested guess i'm a bit indecisive. With so many options, and having to budget, it can be difficult.

Thanks.

I know how you feel. The plossl market is a very crowded one. Good luck in your choice.

How does the plossl compare directly with other plossls?

Leaving aside the previously mentioned slightly narrower FOV over the majority of plossls how is it optically. Does it do what Baader's Orthos do? By which I mean punch well above their wieght performance wise.

Sorry John, I think we are over working you somewhat, :rolleyes:

I'm slightly hampered in that I don't have another 32mm plossl at the moment however First Light Optics have kindly agreed to lend me a Vixen NPL 30mm so I'll be able to directly compare them soon :smiley:

I agree that the Baader Classic Orthos are very good though - the 6mm managed to match the Baader GO and show me Sirus B (AKA the Pup) last night :grin:

I'm slightly hampered in that I don't have another 32mm plossl at the moment however First Light Optics have kindly agreed to lend me a Vixen NPL 30mm so I'll be able to directly compare them soon :smiley:

I agree that the Baader Classic Orthos are very good though - the 6mm managed to match the Baader GO and show me Sirus B (AKA the Pup) last night :grin:

That will be a very interesting comparison and they are almost the same price.

Well done on the Pup. Never tried myself yet but might give it a go but not that hopeful as it seems a very difficult target.

Paul

It will be interesting to see if these BCO's are a success if they will add a couple more to the range.

I have recently acquired a couple of circle t orthos and on the couple of occasions I have used them I have been impressed with them next to my tv plossls. I haven't as yet had what I would call a good seeing night, (Wednesday did not happen quite the same here as it did else where) as of yet I can draw a line between them.

It will be interesting to see if these BCO's are a success if they will add a couple more to the range.

I have recently acquired a couple of circle t orthos and on the couple of occasions I have used them I have been impressed with them next to my tv plossls. I haven't as yet had what I would call a good seeing night, (Wednesday did not happen quite the same here as it did else where) as of yet I can draw a line between them.

What focal length ortho`s did you get?

John I have a 32mm televue plossl you can borrow at Sgl 8 if youd like, ive purchased 2 10mm BCO's for use in my bino viewers.

Thanks Matthew :smiley:

FLO have just sent me a Vixen 30mm NPL to compare with the Baader Classic 32mm Plossl. They are priced very similarly - £45 for the Vixen and £49 for the Baader. Should make an interesting comparison, should the clouds ever clear again :smiley:

I received my x2.25 turret classic barlow today (after a trip to post office)

My first impression is good, but eyepieces are a very loose fit in the barrel, i think i will end up fitting some thin strips of some thing like black tape to shim it, but i feel i will use this barlow just with the element fitted into the base of my orthoscopic ep`s at x1.3, just to gain a slight edge on some targets, and some A-focal Luna imaging.

Overall it seems very well made, no reflective surfaces inside or out, i dont use barlows very often, but this Baader turret offers a flexible aproach

....My first impression is good, but eyepieces are a very loose fit in the barrel, i think i will end up fitting some thin strips of some thing like black tape to shim it, but i feel i will use this barlow just with the element fitted into the base of my orthoscopic ep`s at x1.3, just to gain a slight edge on some targets, and some A-focal Luna imaging....

I agree about the slightly loose fit Jules - my example is the same.

I think you will be impressed with the optical quality - Last night I was using the 10mm BCO with the barlow for 4.44mm and it matched a Baader 5mm BGO on Jupiter. That combo was also able to pick out Sirus B when I managed to spot it last week :smiley:

Archived