Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Not able to see the Dust in M42 (Orion Nebula)

SwordOfOrion

Hi Folks,

Its been a month or so that I have bought my Skywatcher 6" Dob. I am trying hard to see the Orion Nebula but fail to do so. While focussing on the central region of the Orion's Sword, I am able to identify the Trapezium Cluster, but I don't see any dust around it. Some say, its grey while other mention it to be green, but I am not able to see any dust around the trapezium (this cluster lies in the core of nebula). Is it to do with my Eyes or is it the sky. I understand that there is light pollution and may be there is some smog as well, but this nebula is considered as brightest and people claim to have seen it even with 4" also.

Please help.

PS: Same thing is happening with Pleiades cluster. Not able to locate the dust.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If your light pollution is particularly bad, it is possible for the nebula to be washed out. M42 is pretty tolerant though and normally stands up to a poor sky.

Depending on where exactly in India you are, Orion should get very high in the sky. Are you trying when Orion is close to its zenith?

The see the nebulosity in the Pleiades you will need a bigger scope, what you see in an image is the result of several long exposures.

The Orion nebula is however easy, if you stand outside and look then it is the little patch under the belt, for a bit more size use binoculars. The whole patch is the dust, the trapesium is a quite small area within the patch/nebula/dust. I say this as I would have expected you to have located the nebula first then centre in and magnify the trapesium. If you did then the nebula is he dust. You will not get colour until a 14 or 16 inch scope.

I can manage a green tint in m42 every time i view it & thats using my 130mm newt, you should see something? Could be lp though. I bought the skwatcher uhc filter & it brings out the neb beautifully (Although I can see a hint of green without it), might be worth a punt?

Steve

@Star Forming: I am using 25mm and 10mm eyepieces. But am not able to see the dust patch with any of them.

@Brown Dwarf: I have tried to watch it while it is quite high in the sky but not really near the zenith.

The reason I am disappointed is because, I am able to see the inner cluster plus 3 more stars next to it, but no dust patch. And i have tried more than 7-8 times till now.

it must be the smog and light pollution I think. thin cloud here almost removes the nebula for me (I live in a light polluted area) but when there's no cloud it's visible even with binoculars.

perhaps wait for the best nights for nebulae and galaxies and observer other things like planets, moon, double stars and open/globular clusters in the other times?

Orion nebula ought to be visible even under bad light pollution. Make sure you're looking in the right place (sounds like you are) and use low power initially. If you can't see it then perhaps your light pollution is just too bad.

Pleiades nebula requires a very dark sky - if you're having trouble with the Orion nebula then forget about seeing Pleiades nebulosity.

i can`t see any nebulosity in the Pleiades with my 10" dob with the light pollution at my place but can get colour in the orion neb,sounds like you sky is paticularly bad if you can`t get any nebulosity in m42, if you can`t get m42 then you are unlikly to get any other galaxy`s or nebula, can you get to a darker site maybe?

Thanks everyone for their feedback. It seems that light pollution and smog are the reasons. Nevertheless, will keep trying.

@Global Mods: you are true about setting the correct expectations but I would be more than happy If I am able to see the second image (the one from Orion 8") posted by you.

-SOO-

I think Moonshane's sketch can be optimistic in light polluted sky, but I'd still expect to see at least the brighter core regions. That part is visible even with a pair of 8x40 binocular.

I've never seen the nebulosity in the Pleiades. You'll probably need a big scope and very dark skies

I've found averted vision really helps with the Orion Neb, even though it's a bright object it still often disappears if I stare straight at it.

High-altitude haze, lower smog, and skyglow will always make life difficult.

I think Moonshane's sketch can be optimistic in light polluted sky, but I'd still expect to see at least the brighter core regions. That part is visible even with a pair of 8x40 binocular.

I've never seen the nebulosity in the Pleiades. You'll probably need a big scope and very dark skies

n

not my sketch Keith by the way :smiley:

depends on the light pollution. it's certainly how it looks from my house, nine miles from Mancunia in my 6" scope.

One thought to add - what's the moon been like when you've been looking? At the moment it's close to full and close to Orion, which I would expect to be have an effect as bad as heavy light pollution...

Just a thought.

By the way, welcome to the forums, and good luck with the hunt :)

Mine is much the same, I see a small grey smudge of dust near the trapezium but nothin like the sketch put on here by moonshane. The lowest power EP I have is the standard 25mm would I be better switching to a lower power to try and see more ?

The image vs sketch is a typical issue for people with a new a new scope (not saying that IS the issue here). Keep trying and try to get that scope outside of town...it makes a HUGE difference. When you finally get a good view of the nebulae you'll know it...at 25mm and 10mm the view should be stunning!

Happy hunting.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

I managed my first look on the weekend and in far from optimal conditions - the scope pointing out the patio doors basically. It was pretty impressive though, with what appeared to me to be a blue-ish cloud spreading out in a pattern that reminded me of an orchid. I was quite impressed at how large it was, but I'm in a low light pollution spot so quite lucky there.

Keen to get back out and take another look though as it's a fascinating sight, and nice and simple for a newbie like me to find.

i'm in moderate light pollution area - but still see some of the nebula around the centre, nothing like the sketch though - but you can definitely see the beginnings of what look like butterfly wings spreading out.

I actually find if i slightly unfocus so the trapezium just goes out of focus, the nebula jumps out at me much more than when in perfect focus, Not sure why that is though.

Hi there.

I am also new to this and have a 130mm scope, and can make out m42 from the centre of a city. A few thoughts. I wonder if you are a little too 'zoomed in. I found a wider, less magnified view is better to see the contrast between a darker sky and slightly lighter nebulosity. I cannot make out much detail at all though.

Have you read about averted vision. It's a technique for using the more sensitive 'rods' in the eye, which are not in the centre of your vision, making it easier to see faint objects. Worth a google search if you have not.

It does take practice to make out these very faint objects, so keep trying. With your setup I see no reason why it isn't possible.

Good luck!

Archived