Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ok another stupid question from the newb about lens

So the scope i got comes with 5 lens..

sr4mm

h8mm

h12.5mm

h20mm

and a 25mm

I thought the 25 would give the most magnification considering it was the biggest, but am i wrong? bc it seems like from seeing what people are typing on here that the smaller, the more magnified? stupid question i'm sure, i should probably know this, but i don't lol.

The magnification is given by the focal length of your scope, divided by the focal length of the eyepiece. So say your scope focal length is 1000mm, a 25mm ep will give x40, a 10mm will give x100

Hope that helps

Stu

Low magnification is very useful though - most deep sky objects are best viewed at low or medium magnification. High magnifications (ie: your 4mm eyepiece) are for the moon and planets.

Depending on the scope you have, 250x may well be too much most of the time.

Harmony,

Just to add a barlow lens magnifies by reducing the focal length - ie a 2x barlow reduces a 10mm EP to 5mm, effectively doubling the magnification. A decent barlow can reduce the number of EPs you need - so if you had a 32mm, 25mm and 8mm a 2x barlow would add 16mm, 12.5mm and 4mm.

Regards - Jake

Hey there everybody,

As a newb to all this myself, I made the mistake of going for high magnification recently... Turned out to be "too high." Even tho my scope's useful mag is supposed to be 300x (Celestron 5SE), I figured a 5mm EP would be perfect for 250x. What I failed to realize was also that there also needed to be a correlation to the exit pupil being 1mm or more for focus/ decent viewing... In my case (F10 scope), I learned that a millimeter per "F" was just about right. So I sent the 5mm EP back for a 9mm EP (139x) ; which is not ideal (.9mm exit), but will suffice in good viewing conditions. And with a 6.3 focal reducer it should "theoretically" work nicely- please correct me if I'm wrong.

The more I read, the more I realize there is to learn=)

Archived