SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Review - 16" Sumerian Optics / Canopus

Mike73

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks great in black,much better than the brown wood.im not highly considering something like this!how well protected is the mirror when transporting and how susceptable is it to dust compared too a normal truss dob?how smooth and stable is the base and the alt/az movement?

I meant im NOW considering something like this.assuming i can specify what focal length i want and supply my own mirrors as im dont want the gso ones and i wouldnt have anything from orion optics again so some nice 1/8pv nichol optics grinds would be the way i would go.

Looks great in black,much better than the brown wood.im not highly considering something like this!how well protected is the mirror when transporting and how susceptable is it to dust compared too a normal truss dob?how smooth and stable is the base and the alt/az movement?

Yep I'm still glad I went for the black finish. :)

The white mirror cover that you see with the Sumerian logo on it is actually a sheet of aluminium that protects the mirror, unless you do something really stupid (like not put it on!) and drop something heavy on it you wont damage it.

The secondary cage fits over the top of the mirror box then I usually chuck a down jacket over all of it when it goes in the car.

Dust? Well yeah I guess it picks up more dust than a normal truss dob but the mirror is also easier to get out and tip a litre of distilled water over and clean it if you need to, I havent done that yet and probably wont till the summer.

For the Alt bearings you tell him your heaviest and lightest EP's and he works out the balancing point so its perfect. Both bearings smoothness is in a completely different class to Skywatcher/Meade's!

He'll put what ever optic you want in there I guess? You'll just have to send it to him, best drop him an email and ask about that though.

Sure I read that you drive to your girlfriends in Portsmouth? Well I'm about another 2.5 hours down the road if you want to try it out anytime and maybe pick off the low Messiers.

Wow cheers for the concise information,its a testament to this forum the amount of info available.ive actually emailed sumerian to see about the mirrors as if possible i just want to give him the mirror specs and have him make the scope then i fit the mirrors when it arrives,saves on 2 lots of postage of a 30kg mirror(20").will see what comes back.regardless it probably wont be this year now.thanks for the offer looking at the scope,will definately take you up on this as i would like to see the set up/take down process and the quality.where abouts are you based?

Cheers Rich

Rich

No worries. I'm not far from Plymouth just drop me a PM if your heading down this way. :)

Alan

I timed myself a while ago, it takes me 9 minutes from getting it out of my boot, assembled, collimated and ready to observe and sometimes I do start observing straight away with low powers EP's looking at open clusters.

Its nearly 10kg lighter than my old 12" Skywatcher so its easier to move around and only needs one person to assemble.

Thats pretty quick for assembly,its not much less than it takes with my 300p flextube!maybe you could do an assembly vid and post it on the sumerian website?how well does it hold collimation compared to the flextube?

Will have to have a drive down in the spring when the skies are nice and can compare it too my 12"

Yep you collimate it exactly the same as you would your flex tube, it takes about the same amount of time.

I payed about £400 more than a 16" Meade LB and essentially it gives the same views (as it uses the same GSO primary) so you could say 'why bother?'

There are lots of dark skies around Cornwall and I'm a self confessed dark sky addict :grin: due to the size and weight of the LB I'd struggle with it at dark sites and a standard 12" dob would be my limit so the Sumerian has meant I can get a big dob and handle it easily on my own.

Whether you go for a Sumerian or one from David Lukehurst a custom dob has been built with alot of thought gone into it and not just assembled in some factory so you have the nice touches like cooling fans and secondary heater but above all it just works really well when in use.

Yep its an investment but it will give you years and years of enjoyment so 100% worth it IMO. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived