Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Mike73

Review - 16" Sumerian Optics / Canopus

Last summer whilst drooling over the beautiful looking telescopes on the Sumerian website I suddenly had the urge to ask permission for a 16" Canopus and to my suprise she said yes! Well it wasnt quite that simple as we then went through the whole haggling process as to how many pairs of shoes she could get if I got the telescope.

I couldnt find alot of info about the Canopus model on the net so I started talking to Michael at Sumerian via email asking for details. He came back quickly with lots of details, advice and was very helpful right from the start.

After a couple nights mulling it over I payed the deposit for a 16" Canopus with black paint with f/4.5 GSO primary and a OOUK secondary, I also added a couple extras like a 12x60 TS RACI finder and Telrad.

That was the easy part, the hard part was waiting for 3 months for it to be built but I guess thats part and parcel of getting a custom telescope though. It was without a doubt the longest 3 months of my life!

Fast forward to November 2nd and 3 months after the deposit was paid two very large boxes arrived from the Netherlands :hello2:

Putting it together was very simple, although full instructions were included I didnt really need them apart from when it came to the mirror cell....'where's the mirror cell??' A quick email to Michael and all was explained, as its a ultra compact dob it doesnt use an all metal mirror cell like I'd seen in Skywatchers/Meade's and OOUK's, Sumerian have there own design which I'm guessing saves on weight and bulk, a very nice touch.

First light and the optics

As its a custom scope you decide exactly what you want from the start and although the Mrs was happy in her mountain of shoes I thought it was pushing it a little too far to ask for a 1/10Pv Huygens primary so I settled on a standard GSO f/4.5 primary.

So first light in VLM 6.4 skies and straight away I could see a problem as the views appeared very dim, you have no idea how disappointed I was!

After some emails explaining the problem to Michael it was decided that the primary was very rough, it was returned to TS and a replacement was sent by Sumerian.

I have to say that this was a stressful time for me but customer service from Sumerian was spot on and I cant fault them. Maybe the scope should of had been tested under the stars before it was shipped but in all fairness to them I was getting pretty impatient and just wanted the damn scope. :grin:

So I've had the scope working since the start of December and the views it has given so far have blown me away, no need to really look for spiral arms in galaxies like I had to in my old 12", even though its only 4" gain in aperture it really has been worth the expense. Theres some sketches in my blog which may give a rough idea how objects appear in my EP.

The build quality is very good, all bolted together the mirror box/rocker box is very solid and there is a very small amount of vibration through the truss poles when in use, this is still far less than my old Skywatcher though.

I was a little worried that the black paint would chip or show any little knocks but even with my accident prone hands its still like new after a couple months.

The Alt/Azi bearings are sooooooo smooth when in use, 10/10 here.

It has three small primary cooling fans on the rear of the mirror box, I've had these running and used mags of x300 and cant see any vibration.

It has a secondary heater powered by 3 AA batteries which lasts for around 24 hrs.

The shroud you see in one of the pictures below was bought separately from Heathers Shrouds in the US.

Total weight is 33kg which is 9kg lighter than my old 12" Skywatcher and its also smaller in size when broken down to transport and can fit in the boot of my Astra.

Price? See the Sumerian website.

I honestly can say that I cant think of anything I'm unhappy with, yep if I had more money at the time a primary a little faster and from one of the better mirror makers would make it better but thats something I may look into more in the future.

This is a scope that I plan on having for many years to come and I can completely recommend the Canopus to anyone.

post-20821-0-31772100-1358869538_thumb.j

post-20821-0-64851200-1358869549_thumb.j

post-20821-0-03148800-1358869557_thumb.j

post-20821-0-56398400-1358869567_thumb.j

post-20821-0-55327600-1358869577_thumb.j

post-20821-0-41611600-1358869588_thumb.j

post-20821-0-36527500-1358869598_thumb.j

post-20821-0-37940200-1358869611_thumb.j

post-20821-0-11541900-1358869623_thumb.j

• Like 9

this is a stunning scope Mike. I am glad you got the optics sorted in the end.

• Like 1

Great review and what a fantastic looking scope :smiley:

• Like 1

What a stunning scope, I can imagine how gutted you were with the mirror problem, glad you got it sorted :grin:

• Like 1

Great review. I can imagine the frustration with the optical problems, as all anyone would want to do is be out under the stars having taken delivery of the scope, but glad it was quickly sorted.

Clear skies,

• Like 1

Great stuff, Mike, and certainly something to aspire to!

I hope you don't mind me asking, but, did you have a choice or other 'scopes or was it 'love at first sight'? If the former, which were you considering?

Clear skies.

• Like 1

Great stuff, Mike, and certainly something to aspire to!

I hope you don't mind me asking, but, did you have a choice or other 'scopes or was it 'love at first sight'? If the former, which were you considering?

Clear skies.

Well I didnt have too much choice in it really, I wanted more aperture but keeping it as portable or if not better than my 12" Skywatcher so I had three choices. Import from the US which after taxes works out very expensive, a David Lukehurst scope was also outside of my budget which left Sumerian. I'd been drooling over the Sumerians for quite a while anyway, the hardest decision was choosing whether I wanted a black or just wood finish! :)

Great review and fine set of pictures Mike, I expect that there will be a bit of clicking onto the Sumerian website.

• Like 1

Michael makes some beautiful scopes.

Suspect he cannot really test them out easily as I think he lives next door to Schipol airport.

Final question: How many shoes ??

Great read and pics.Mike,

Cannot help but think you've perhaps triggered aperture fever for some with your review!

No doubt you'll have lots of fun in the spring with M86/M87 etc.

Chris

• Like 1

Great review Mike and a VERY nice scope. As you say above, there is always the possibility of upgrading the mirror if you feel the need but that is certainly a lot of aperture to keep you busy. I shall now have a look at your drawings but I'm a little hesitant as I feel aperture fever is going to strike again! :grin:

Clear skies

James

• Like 2

got to be one of the best looking scopes around..congrats mate,now book that camping trip to the west coast of Scotland..and let her rip...ps is that photo at crowdy?

Edited by estwing

Before the midges come, they were murder at Rannoch last year. Midge jacket essential lol

Sent mobile

Michael makes some beautiful scopes.

Suspect he cannot really test them out easily as I think he lives next door to Schipol airport.

Final question: How many shoes ??

I cannot fault Michael or his telescopes. GSO I can and not having enough money to buy a better mirror well thats my problem. :)

got to be one of the best looking scopes around..congrats mate,now book that camping trip to the west coast of Scotland..and let her rip...ps is that photo at crowdy?

Cheers Calv I do need to get it somewhere darker still and yeah thats Crowdy, bring back memories eh?

Before the midges come, they were murder at Rannoch last year. Midge jacket essential lol

Last time I was at Rannoch I needed a midge helmet, little buggers were always dive bombing me!! :)
  • Like 1

yes mate...ahh those were the days my friend,we thought they'd never end,we'd sing and dance..la lala la.er don't know where that came from :hiding:

• Like 1

That really is a gorgeous-looking telescope.

James

thts a very nice piece of kit

be honest - when she said you could have it, did you tell her the full price first?

• Like 3

just showed the pic to my dad..he said o yes...never any bl**dy fish in that place!!

Very nice Mike. I was looking at the Sumerian site last night. If I had the money it would be a "no brainer" As is, I am gonna have to make my own.

Hi Mike,

A wonderful scope, I have long pondered whether to get one myself. Can I ask if you know how high the eyepiece is at zentih?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By chaxastro
      IAS 2019 Review - Friday 15 November

My second show (first was last year), as before got there on Friday 15th, soon after 0900hrs.

Despite the weather, seemed to be fairly busy in the main hall. Had a few good discussions with different vendors, 365 Astronomy in particular. Even the guy on the Vixen stand near the entrance, remembered me from last year!

RVO had a whole hall to themselves, not really sure why? They did seem a bit 'lost' in there. All that space and not much kit...

Again, there to 'window shop' only, but still managed to spend £90! Got a good price on a WO 1.25" Dura-Bright Dielectric diagonal.
      (Thanks Widescreen) Best online price I'd found, prior to the show, was about £100 inc. postage/delivery, so saved a tenner!

Restaurant was a big improvement over last year. Coffee was OK, lunch was pretty good too. Choice of Fish 'n' Chips or Cottage Pie.
      All gone by 1345hrs...

All in all a good day. Looking ahead to 2020, might make three in a row!

Chaxastro

"Humour is reason gone mad" Groucho Marx

• By jadcx
      I bought this second hand, but it was almost untouched, and a relative bargain to boot.  New it costs 1199 EUR from TS (approx. £1035 as of 08/03/2019 but who has any idea how this might fluctuate).

Highlights:
      Apo air-spaced triplet with FPL53 Multiple focus positions thanks to removable tube segments 2.5” rack and pinion focuser, rotatable, dual speed controls, 6kg payload, with printed scale CNC tube rings and dovetail supplied Retractable dew shield  
      First impressions:
      It’s a really nice box.  Whilst it’s described as a ‘transport case’ the supplied storage box is sturdy and well made.  Inside, the foam fit is precise bordering on tight.  It’s actually mildly difficult to get the scope out of the box.  Things get a little easier if you loosen the tube rights slightly, allowing for some tube rotation, and a longer term fix will be some straps to aid lifting the scope out vertically.
      The scope itself feels very well made, and is what I’m choosing to refer to as ‘reassuringly weighty’.  At just over 4kg (without diagonal, eyepiece, or finder) there are definitely lighter options available, but it’s hardly a heavyweight.  The finish is powered coat white, which looks and feels very nice.
      The focuser is very smooth (compared to my SW ED80) and feels pleasingly solid.  I’m not going to be testing the stated 6kg payload any time soon, but I can easily believe it will be able to handle it.
      The dew shield is held in  position with a single thumbscrew, and whilst it’s retractable credentials are clearly warranted, it only seems to extend a couple of centimetres.  As it happens, this takes the overall length down to 450mm which was the very top end of my acceptable range in order to meet my ‘travel’ requirement.  The focuser body also incorporates a finder shoe, but if you wanna  finder then you have to supply your own as there’s nothing included.
      The idea of having additional tube segments is that you don’t have to rack out the focuser so far, and so improves stability.  This also allows for multiple reducer/flattener options for imaging use.  The TS website details the specific configurations using their recommended equipment which provide a faster f/4.9 option for sensors up to 36mm, or a full frame flat image at the standard f/6.6.  I might be exploring these options later, but for now, this is going to be for visual use.

First light:
      OK - this barely counts, but I was impatient.  Predictably enough, first evening with a new telescope and it’s raining.  But I did manage a pretty decent look at my neighbours TV aerial and chimney stack.  They need some re-pointing.

The following evening (9th March 2019) was less rainy, but much the same for cloud, all but for about 30 minutes of relatively clear sky, interrupted regularly by patchy cloud.  So still not great.  However, my ambitious setup to allow for cooling paid off and I did manage a few minutes of actual use with a SW 28mm eyepiece.  The Baader Zoom I also treated myself to for my travel use is frustratingly still not dispatched.  And when I say set-up, I mean just carrying everything outside.  I’m using this on the SW AZ-Gti mount, and a Manfrotto tripod I had already, so it’s very easy to pick up and take outside.
      I was using the scope with one of the two removable sections in place (this is how it is stored in the supplied case) and was able to achieve focus with a 2" diagonal without having to rack out excessively.
      Sirius was an obvious target to the south, and an easy hit.  Brilliantly bright, as expected, and a blue-ish white colour.   The upper half (the rest was below my sightline from home) of Canis Major was easy to see, with several of the background stars also visible.  Despite the less than great seeing, the view was impressive.  Stars were tight and there was no obvious chromatic aberration.   Moving up to Betelgeuse, it’s orange-red brilliance was very pleasing, and again I was able to make out some of the fainter surrounding stars.
      Overall the view was very impressive, and bright.  My only real comparison is with my SW80, and of course I now have over 25% more light, so that’s to be expected.  But still, it makes an obvious difference.  I wasn’t able to note any CA or distortion, and a quick full visible spectrum (no filters) star test reflected spot on collimation and no apparent astigmatism.
      Alas, the break in the patchy clouds did not last long, and I was soon packing up for the night and heading out for a beer.  I’m looking forward to getting some more quality time with this kit, and who knows, I might even align the AZ-Gti next time and write a brief review for that too.

• By Nigeyboy
      Hi all,
      Been a while since I have been on the site – work has been really busy these last 18 months, and although it’s still manic, things are slowing down a bit!!
      Viewing my previous posts, you will see that I was in the market for a new scope to adorn my EQ3-2 mount that I had purchased ages ago now!! Well, things didn’t turn out as expected, and while I am still hoping to get a scope, hopefully at Christmas if Santa is kind to me (I have been a good boy lol!!) I decided to get a pair of Binoculars to fill the gap!
      Budget was tight, and I did want a pair of larger aperture bins. A lot of reading up on the internet, and I settled on the Celestron Skymaster 20x80’s. I already have a pair of 10x50’s so was after something with a bit more power, and larger objective’s. The skymasters seemed to fit the bill, and the price was right as well! I dropped into Rother Valley Optics with my cash on the off chance they would have a pair in stock – they didn’t, so I left my details, and less than 24 hours later, Adam from the shop called me to say they had a pair in! I drove over to their shop, tried them out outside the shop, as I had read that some pairs are known to have collimation issues. These where perfect, so I parted with my £99 cash and went home with them! First class service from RVO, and I will be using them again when it comes to getting my scope – thanks guys!
      So, onto the bin’s. They came double boxed up, and within the branded box inside the plain box, the bin’s were securely packed in foam and wrapped in plastic. They come with a basic carry case, which won’t protect them from hard knocks, but will keep the dust off them while not in use. The eye pieces are protected by a one piece cover, while each large objective is covered by its own, separate cover. There is also a basic neck strap, but it appears quite flimsy, and I won’t be using it.
      The bins have a built in tripod adaptor, on an adjustable slider, meaning they can be securely attached to a tripod and balanced up. Weight wise, they tip the scales at just over 2.6kg. This isn’t hugely heavy, and while I did use a tripod for some observing, when I wanted to look at things nearer the zenith, I hand held them, and did so for quite some time. I didn’t feel they were overly heavy, even after prolonged use.
      It seems that new scope curse also affects owners of new binoculars, as I had to wait 5 days for clear skies!! I went out at about 10:30pm into the back garden, and while the side of house has a street lamp directly over the hedge, round the back its cut off, and quite dark. I began by finding M31, which at is currently nearly at the Zenith. I could see the central core clearly, and with some averted vision, make out some finer details in the disk. Moving on to M45, the Pleiades, that was just rising over my neighbours fence – what a sight!! Even though it was quite low down, the cluster filled the view, and I could see loads of fainter stars within it. Moving through the Milkyway, the view was filled with thousands of stars and star clusters!! I was really impressed. I intend to go to a dark sky site up in the Peak District, just north of Ashbourne when time and the weather permit, to get some proper dark sky viewing in!
      I have not yet been able to look at the Moon or any planets through them – the Moon hadn’t risen by the time I turned in, and is now a very small waning crescent. I will have to wait a bit longer, and will update the review once done. Mars was up, but low in the sky, and due to the street lights, swamped with LP.
      With terrestrial viewing, they provide bright and crisp views. While there is some CA when looking at things with bright edges, general viewing wasn’t affected in any way. I plan to take them to my local nature reserve to test them out on some wild life as well. I am also a bit of a plane fan, and when time permits I park up near East Midlands Airport to watch the aircraft coming and going – these will be great for that, set up on my tripod for easy viewing!
      Conclusion – the Skymaster 20x80’s are a decent pair of binoculars. While they don’t have the build quality of more expensive ones, treated well I can see no reason why they won’t last for years. They actually come with a 5 year Celestron guarantee anyway!  For causal use when you don’t want to set up the main scope I think these fit the bill nicely, and I would recommend them to anyone.
      Cheers all
      Nige
    • By MikeODay
      Carina Nebula with the bright unstable star Eta Carinae in the centre of the image.   edit ( 27 March ):  Tweak to shadow levels to bring out more detail and also a slight reduction in the brightness of the highlights.  A much larger version ( 4562 x 3072 6062 x 4082) is available on my Flickr page.     previous version:   Carinae Nebula ( NGC 3372 ) ( please click / tap on image to see larger and sharper )   From Wikipedia ... "Eta Carinae is a highly luminous hypergiant star. Estimates of its mass range from 100 to 150 times the mass of the Sun, and its luminosity is about four million times that of the Sun." This HDR image is constructed from 12 sets of exposures ranging from 1/8 sec ( to capture the bright centre of Eta Carinae ) through to 240 seconds.  Total exposure time around 13 hours   17-19 March 2018     Image details:   Objects in image:
        Hypergiant, Eta Carinae ( HD 93308 ) in the centre of the Homunculus Nebula
        Carina Nebula ( NGC 3372 )
        Keyhole Nebula
        Open Star Clusters:
          - Trumpler 14, 15, 16
          - Collinder  232
        Field of view ..... 59' 18.2" x 39' 56.0"
      Image centre ...... RA: 10 45 01.762  Dec: -59 40 52.87
      Orientation: North is up   Telescope: Orion Optics CT12 Newtonian ( mirror 300mm, fl 1200mm, f4 ). Corrector: ASA 2" Coma Corrector Quattro 1.175x. Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1470mm f4.7   Mount: Skywatcher EQ8   Guiding: TSOAG9 Off-Axis-Guider, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, PHD2   Camera:
      Nikon D5300 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.6mm, 6016x4016 3.9um pixels)   Location:
      Blue Mountains, Australia
      Moderate light pollution ( pale green zone on darksitefinder.com map )   Capture ( 17, 18 & 19 March 2018 ):
      12 sets of sub-images with exposure duration for each set doubling ( 1/8s to 240s ) all at ISO250.
      ( 181 x 240sec + 10 to 20 each for the other durations )   Processing:
      Calibration: master bias, master flat and master dark
      Integration in 12 sets
      HDR combination   Pixinsight March 2018
    • By MikeODay
      Open star clusters Trumpler 14 & 16 and Collinder 232 with the Carina Nebula a very colourful backdrop

Eta Carinae and star clusters Trumpler 14 & 16 and Collinder 232 ( please click / tap on image to see larger ( 1632 x 1632 ) and sharper image )
      The stand out member of Trumpler 16 is the unstable hypergiant Eta Carina ( just to the left of the Keyhole Nebula ).
      A larger ( 3264 x 3264 ) version of this image can be found on my Flickr page.
      Capture and processing details can be found in this post.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.