Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

Andyfx

What can you do with a 30 second sub?

Hey everyone, I thought it'd be nice to show people what different scopes and setups can do with a single 30 second sub.

How bout posting a few of your own images?

Rules are:

• Use any 30 second sub
  • Process as desired
  • Post an uncropped image (so people can see the FOV)

Here's a quick one using my Orion data from the other night and the equipment in my sig.

post-11563-0-13036900-1358858298_thumb.p

This is a single 30s Sub - ISO 1600 - taken through my unguided 200p f/6 Newtonian. Camera - unmodded Canon 5D Mk I.

post-27164-0-31781700-1358858602_thumb.j

These are very impressive. Perhaps I'm missing the obvious but are they prime focus, eyepiece projection or even afocal?

Dave

No worries lol, looks good btw.

Just a bit of fun really and maybe it might help anyone trying to decide what scope they might want.

Nice images. Shame about the uncropped thing, as I only retained the cropped versions of all my 30 sec subs :rolleyes2:

• Like 1

OK, here you go. Darkened a bit and star spikes added :grin:

KQkG8.jpg

Oh, it was taken with 200P - EQ5 - Canon 1000D - Prime

Edited by Catweazel
  • Like 1

Nice :-) Can see a theme emerging here lol.

LOL, me too; I only ever took pics of the Orion Neb and the Moon. If I ever get clear skies here again, I will have a go at something different :smiley:

What a great idea for a thread.

Here's a small stack of 30s with a Nikon D7000 and the stock zoom at 18mm on a static tripod. It's also been cropped I'm afraid because the Milky Way was falling into some trees. It's full width though.

Dave.

post-493-0-08679800-1358863566_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

What a great thread indeed. It gives me a really good idea of what I should be aiming for when setting up and getting the first few test shots back. Thanks Andyfx you're a star (pardon the pun)

• Like 1

Thanks Richie092. The idea really was, if i had a certain setup and took a quick 30 second snap, what'd the result be from that equipment. The idea wasn't to stack loads of 30 second subs, just work with a single one. That way everyone is the same. There's no point comparing an image if one person uses a single sub and another uses 400 stacked.

Here's a 60s sub I have of M57. This is a raw, mono frame from my 12" F5 newt with a mono 383L+.. 16Mbytes.. so it could take a while to download.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/44641599/m57_60s_1.fit

The frame is uncorrected... absolutely raw.

And a compressed version of the above:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/44641599/M57_60s_compressed.jpg

Note: the 15th mag galaxy IC1296 is just showing through in the background.

Image scale is 0.74 arc seconds per pixel... my aimed for FWHM is 3 pixels (2 on the diagonal).. I'm not quite there yet.

Derek

Edited by rfdesigner
  • Like 1

Here's an image of M57 - just a processed single 12 second sub taken with a modified webcam and LX200 10" (in 2005)

ring-12sec.jpg

And here's the (resized) result of a very large stack of these 12 second subs, combined with a stack of 30 second (colour) subs.

M57_2.jpg

Adrian

• Like 3

It seems I missed the point ! Ah well.

Here then is a single 30s sub straight from the camera. If this doesn't put people off trying I don't know what will :grin:

post-493-0-70814900-1358867819_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I like the idea of this thread :) Here is another image of "old faithful" taken last night with newly set up Atik 314L+ and SMC Takumar 200mm f4 lens. 30s of Ha single sub stretched in PS but uncropped. And another with more stretching. I'll see what else I can find too :)

post-13131-0-48844300-1358871803_thumb.p post-13131-0-61372600-1358872551_thumb.p

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1

That's cool Gina, i'm always interested in how much Ha etc comprises certain objects :-)

Found a wide-field image with 1100D DSLR - 30s at ISO 1600 and -7C one sub stretched and resized for upload.

post-13131-0-41809700-1358874767_thumb.j

• Like 1