Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another beginners question !!

Ok here we go ! I am a total beginner , bought a pair of 10x50 bins to start of with.

My qestion is , what would be and where could I get a good star map from ?

Or would i be better off getting a couple of books like ,Turn left at Orion ect ?

Baz

The advice I've been given is to have a good book like TLAO and a good star map. I was recommended sky and telescopes pocket star atlas, which after a lot of searching I managed to buy from Barnes and noble in the states.

Hi Baz, A great tool to use when star hoping is a planishere, WH smiths or Waterstones do them, they are about £10. You need to know where north is to use the planisphere but unlike most mobile phone apps for the night sky, you can still use the planisphere when there is no mobile phone signal. The instructions on how to use it are in the pack and its really easy. Grant.......Cornwall.....

Everyone recommends Turn Left at Orion so it is well worth getting. A planisphere is useful when first learning the sky, helps you orientate yourself.

Something like this...

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/15527261295366675025?q=planisphere&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari&sa=X&ei=n2z-ULLbMpHhtQaf2YGoCQ&ved=0CDsQ8wIwAQ#hsec:overview

Sky &Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas is great once you need more detail and a wider range if objects and would be what I recommend.

Stu

Hi Baz, A great tool to use when star hoping is a planishere, WH smiths or Waterstones do them, they are about £10. You need to know where north is to use the planisphere but unlike most mobile phone apps for the night sky, you can still use the planisphere when there is no mobile phone signal. The instructions on how to use it are in the pack and its really easy. Grant.......Cornwall.....

None of the android/iphone planetarium apps I have used have ever needed a mobile or data signal to operate. Additionally, most apps can use the phone accelerometers and compass so that you can line them up with your view of the sky and display exactly what you are looking at.

Good apps, like Starmap (lite/pro/hd), will also be able to provide you with a list of binocular capable objects (adromeda galaxy, clusters, planetary nebulae etc) that you can view that night, when they rise and where they are located.

+ 1 for Sky & Telescope pocket star atlas is a good one, bit big for the average pocket though. TLAO different but excellent all the same. The Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders is a good one too (similar to TLAO but much more content) Be aware there are almost as many books on the subject as there are grains of sand on the beaches of the earth, oh no that's stars, works both ways. Good luck.

Paul.

Baz, just in case you want to have look at some star maps, dedicated to bino observing, have a look at the heading of the Binocular Section where you will see referenced a free program called TUBA. These can be very useful, as you can configure them to any area of the sky you want to observe and adjust the star magnitude to suit your purpose, print out and mark up as you want, take outside in a clear protective pocket, which you can read with a red torch. I used these years ago before the mobile phone technology and found them a very good aid to hopping round the night sky, enjoy your Astronomy :)

John.

Archived