Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

This weather is taking an age to clear, so I thought I'd have a look at the data I'd captured so far over 3 nights on M82 - having started imaging this over Xmas I'm getting a little annoyed at not even being able to put a colour image together yet! Still red channel and Ha to capture before I can do that.

Here's the luminance channel so far - it's 4 hours of imaging with my Altair Astro 6"RC and Atik 314l+

8403777334_bc7919fd7f_c.jpg

I was pretty happy to see quite a few little fuzzies in there too, so ran it through Pixinsight's image solver and annotating script to see what it threw out.

8402733455_4301e1e278_c.jpg

Edited by johnrt
  • Like 2

Very nice indeed... can you post as higher res a possible, I fancy one of these scopes to go with my 314..

I's really like to see a picture of the combo, what's the total length of the scope and camera and how much sticks out the rear of the focuser? do you need a lot of extensions? :D

Edited by Coco

Very nice indeed... can you post as higher res a possible, I fancy one of these scopes to go with my 314..

I's really like to see a picture of the combo, what's the total length of the scope and camera and how much sticks out the rear of the focuser? do you need a lot of extensions? :D

Have a look here for the original size image Guy - M82 Luminance

I'm using an Astro Physics CCDT67 reducer which brings it down from a 1370mm f/9 to a 900mm f/6. The reducer also means I don't need to use any of the supplied extensions - I had to use just one before to bring the Atik to focus.

• Like 1

Thank you Velvet & Jesper! I've not imaged M82 specifically before - can anyone shed any light on how difficult the Ha jets are to capture? I'm planning a full night just for Ha to enhance the red channel.

Very nice image!

Even without a full colour shot, it looks absolutely surreal! I wish that someday I can take pictures of DSOs such as M82, haha. Great work!

Yes, great start :) This weather is most frustrating! :(