SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What do people do when it rains?

This is a silly question I know.but what do you do to protect your scope if you get caught out observing in the rain shower. Im guessing it can resist a bit of rain like bikes do and you dry it down but do I need to buy a cover?

Joanne

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couple of the large carrier bags that you can get from a few of the stores, they often do a standard sized one and a bigger one, get a few of the bigger ones.

And a golf umbrella, or better a fishing umbrella.

I always have a BBQ cover handy these days. The Chiminea cover sounds even better.

Save the scope if you can but first unplug the mount and then cover it. Fizzing noises from the mother board aren't funny and usually very expensive.

Dave.

It is not a daft question Joanne, especially if your out under what is a clear sky when rain drops start to fall, borne by the wind from an approaching rain storm, have a cover handy at all times, there have been plenty of suggestions so far for you to choose from. A plastic mac is also useful for your own protection :)

John.

Our visitors bringing their own gear for the week all seem to have the same make of heavy duty plastic bag, shiny gold in colour, and sold by the astro outlets if memory serves. It's mainly the Dutch and Belgian astronomers who bring thier own kit so I don't know if UK outlets sell these bags but they keep the heat down as well as the wet out and seem very tough.

Olly

If caught out by a sudden shower, I chuck an astro systems scope coat over the dob and wait it out. I also use one of these for the SCT. If relentless overnight rain at say a weekend star party, I prefer with my SCT, which is quite portable, to get it under the tent fly.

i have used an US Army surplus rain poncho. (ebay)

the hood fits the end of the tube and the rest of it just drapes down

over the rest of the tube and the mount.

It’s lightweight and very waterproof,

nice and quick and easy.

folds up into a small pack

also great as a ground sheet

Archived