SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is the Horsehead Nebula observable visually?

Bart

Barry I have tried for many years to see HH visually but have not been successful. There was an interesting website reported on SGL in November last year - which you might find interesting. The link to the 'magic eyepiece' is here - http://home.ix.netco...b/MEyepiece.htm and the SGL thread link is here -

I have a 10" Dob, a reasonable dark site and a thousand oaks H-Beta filter. Since November the weather has been terrible and I have not had much opportunity to try out the 'magic eyepiece' with the H-Beta filter.

I notice you have a 16" Dob so you might be more successful.

Mark

It was discovered photographically, after the surrounding nebula had already been observed visually. Subsequent observers have managed to see the horsehead shape with varying degrees of success. I've seen it with a 12" and UHC filter at a dark site.

What you have to bear in mind is that it's a dark nebula seen against an emission nebula. In photographs the emission nebula looks very bright and the horsehead looks very dark by contrast, but in reality the emission nebula is very faint (it was missed out of the NGC and instead has an IC desgination). So you're looking for something dark againt something that is almost as dark. When I viewed it, I sketched the nebula bit by bit as parts became visible, and on my picture I ended up with a gap in the shape of a horsehead (actually more like a dog on my sketch). I never saw the whole horsehead at one time, because I could only catch little bits of the emission nebula at one time. Others have managed the whole thing.

I have to say, though, that this is one object whose fame (from photographs) far outstrips anything you'll ever see at the eyepiece.

The closest I've come to seeing the Horsehead is some nebulosity around Sigma Orionis. Nothing more than that. Based on the posts before this, it is very well possible but needs planning, clear (and dark) skies and dark adapted eyes.

Josh

I seen it last year under very dark transparent skies in North Scotland in a 12" SCT, I looked for 10 hours or so over a few nights, I used a Televue 40mm Plossl and a 1.25 H-Beta filter, I also seen it the same night with a 30mm eyepiece with a 2" H-Beta filter, have a look at this guys site, http://freescruz.com/~4cygni/haggisizing/astro/HH-sense.htm

With my new scope It should be much easier to see although I'm sure the skies have a lot to do with it.

No, no H-Beta filter, looks like I need one for this

I think the H-Beta is the optimum filter but the Horsehead can also be seen using a good UHC filter such as the Orion Ultrablock I believe.

I think the H-Beta is the optimum filter but the Horsehead can also be seen using a good UHC filter such as the Orion Ultrablock I believe.

It was a Lumicon UHC that I used. An H-beta is recommended but only really comes into its own on the Horsehead and one or two other objects, so it's a substantial investment to see not very much.

• 2 years later...

Archived