SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Android star finder app

I'd recommend SkySafari.

Comes in 3 flavours from £2 up to about £30, the cheap one does me well.

Lots of info on the objects and a very useful "Best of tonight" feature if you're stuck for something to look at.

There is a Stellarium app for Android but I find it rather lacking considering that it's pretty much an essential on the PC.

Skeye deserves an honourable mention for a freebie, but I find that what you see on screen doesn't very accurately reflect what you see in the sky with the relative brightness of the stars.

just looking at play store now SkEye has four and a half stars out of five- will give that a try since it is free (I am scottish after all :laugh: ) . If I dont get on with it I can try the others.

Funny as Im running a few and Google maps seems to be the best for me its very accurate. Maybe it doesn't like the far north up in Scotland those northern lights interferring with it. Lol

And its got night vision mode which basically digs your screen and everything goes red.

Is it intended to attach the phone/tablet to the OTA and use it as a kind of "push-to" with Skeye, or is hand held the idea? If you fix it, any tips?

Thanks

Jason

see thread about 'converting dob to GoTO' which I & others are discussing Push TO use ( I'm ready to try it once get a clear evening)

Funny as Im running a few and Google maps seems to be the best for me its very accurate. Maybe it doesn't like the far north up in Scotland those northern lights interferring with it. Lol

And its got night vision mode which basically digs your screen and everything goes red.

When I use it the stars concerned dont seem to be right behind the phone - can be to either off to the left or right of it. Could be that I am doing it wrong of course

Sky maps - quickest to view, brighter stars only

SkEye - best for push to, strapped to my Dob

Mobile Observatory - best for events calendar, visibility curves

SkySafari Pro - most complete stars, can match finder or eyepiece view, a real atlas.

So you see I use all four!

see thread about 'converting dob to GoTO' which I & others are discussing Push TO use ( I'm ready to try it once get a clear evening)

Thanks. I've just picked up the thread. I'll try and knock something up, possibly with Velcro pads, then, like you, wait for a clear night to give it a try :smiley:

I've just been looking for a car cradle on ebay you can buy suction ones although Im not sure it would stick to a curved surface. Im going to buy one and try it £4.99 and it cones with a 2m 12v charger to which is great as i have a power pack to eventually use on The autotrak.

Archived