Dioptrix question

Scooot

I have an astigmatism and was considering buying one of these at some point. What's putting me off slightly is the possible hassle of switching between eyepieces. I wonder from anyone that uses one how easy this is. I realise I could buy more than one.

Hi Richard.

This review http://media.skyandtelescope.com/documents/TVDioptrx.pdf mentions that the Dioptrix can be "removed in seconds, making it easy to transfer".

Hmmm, not sure at all if that would work well in the dark, it does sound if it could be a hassle, especially if you decide to try yet another eyepiece.

But if your astigmatism is minor, like mine, you may perhaps only need one Dioptrix for your lowest power ? I find that at medium to high power, with the resulting smaller exit pupil, my astigmatism is not apparent.

Regards, Ed.

Thanks for the reply Ed,

I have tried the higher power without specs but prefer to use them. I also have contacts I can use but can't get the exact prescription and they're not so good as my eyes tire so again prefer to use glasses. I know this will sound weird, but I can actually read better without specs, so I'm having to use them to view through the eyepiece and then remove them to read the iPad. Hence the attraction of dioptrix.

I use dioptrx on non TV eyepieces. Swapping the dioptrx is a bit fiddly, but no much more than attaching filters. It has more to do with the dimension mismatch between my own eyepieces. The dioptrx push fit into my LVWs, but I need to remove a rubber eye guard for my Nikons, which gets a bit inconvenient if I swap between the two brands. I'd guess swapping between TV eyepiece would be much easier.

I have a feeling TV wants you to buy one for each eyepiece and have it attached permanently.

I use dioptrx on non TV eyepieces. Swapping the dioptrx is a bit fiddly, but no much more than attaching filters. It has more to do with the dimension mismatch between my own eyepieces. The dioptrx push fit into my LVWs, but I need to remove a rubber eye guard for my Nikons, which gets a bit inconvenient if I swap between the two brands. I'd guess swapping between TV eyepiece would be much easier.

I have a feeling TV wants you to buy one for each eyepiece and have it attached permanently.

Thank you,

Yes I suspect you're right about TV, I was thinking if I bought one I'd end up buying another. Interesting that you use them on other makes though, I didn't think they'd fit & I suspect others aren't aware either.

Thanks again

Archived