Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sitting or standing?

Just wondering if you guys have a preference, I'm personally interested in imaging which is typically going keep me in the same area/position for greater periods of time (although I haven't been able to get out and try my new kit).

Someone in ese part had mentioned an adjustable height ironing stool, I've seen a cheap one on amazon with good reviews.

Is some kind of seat essential in your view?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I prefer to sit when possible as it means I'm more relaxed and steadier at the eyepiece. I get up and walk around from time to time whether I'm observing or imaging though, just so I don't "set" :)

James

I use an ironing stool at the moment but if you can stretch to one of these, I think it would be worth it.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-sky-watcher-anti-tip-observing-chair/p1529203?cm_mmc=googlebase-extension-_-astronomy-accessories-_-astronomy-misc-_-sky-watcher-anti-tip-observing-chair_1529203&utm_source=googlebase-extension&gclid=ciftzif29rqcfephtaodleiagg

The ironing stools require you to unscrew the height adjustment, re-thread it and re-screw it, a bit of a faff with cold hands in the dark.

The astro ones just slide up and down with one-touch.

Drum thrones work as well, the ones that swivel up and down.

i got myself a drum throne from flea bay forabout a tenner, sitting is so much better than standing imo, i like to try and sketch and take notes sometimes so standing is just not on. i used to stand with the old refractor but its uncomfortable .

Fraid I am the akward one, I stand and climb!! When I use the 200p I tend to use one of those inverted bucket stands used in the kitchen. Being on wheels it can slide around on the floor until I put my weight on and the top is just the right height to allow me to see through the 200p eyepiece in a comfortable position. Other than that it is standing all the time except when I climb down to the warm room :)

Jim

I made my own seat and it makes a massive difference. initially I made a 'prototype' but it worked so well I never bothered to do another even though it's slightly utilitatian! http://www.amazon.co.uk/10-150mm-accurate-materials-including-Includes/dp/B006DUVHSU/ref=sr_1_2?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1358597225&sr=1-2 I will eventually make a better one out of birch ply which will be lighter and more aesthetically pleasing.

I made my own seat and it makes a massive difference. initially I made a 'prototype' but it worked so well I never bothered to do another even though it's slightly utilitatian! http://www.amazon.co...58597225&sr=1-2 I will eventually make a better one out of birch ply which will be lighter and more aesthetically pleasing.

Not sure that's quite the link you meant to add, if indeed you meant to add a link at all :)

James

You only sit because your mount has sunk in the mud :D

Jim

There is that Jim & I do remember one night imaging Mars sitting on one of those plastic patio chairs sinking fast lol.

I prefer to sit whilst observing.

I use one of these:-

http://www.philipmorrisdirect.co.uk/leifheit-multi-seat-niveau-ironing-chair/product/

I find it quite easy to move around as I turn to observe different parts of the sky and after a while I got used to slipping out the adjusting pin and lowering / raising the seat.

It also folds away for easy storage.

I was wondering whether to get something to sit on, but will wait until I get my new scope in (hopefully) the near future. I do currently have an old stool out in the garden, but it's no real good when at the eyepiece.

Was thinking of something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leifheit-71310-Multi-Seat/dp/B000XQG7R6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_kh_2

It's telling to see that the 'Items customers bought with this product' are all astronomy related ;)

Sitting, it is an integral part of my enjoyment of visual astronomy. Retaining a relaxed posture can enable you to both perhaps spend more time at the eyepiece and potentially tease out a bit detail on your target.

I use this one, as you can make very small adjustments, very portable n' comfortable to.

www.buyastrostuff.com

Archived