first frustration.

Hello. It's my first telescope. I know it's not great. But I'm going to use it to pick up the basics. Also, it will tide me over while I save up for something a bit better.

I have it set up, and can't wait to get outside to use it.

I have a 114mm Bushnell reflector. As I said, I know it's not great, but could you tell me what I might get to see with it? It is so frustrating as there isn't even a star visable at the moment. And the snow on the ground must be a bad thing.

This looks to be a great site. And when I'm ready to buy a new telescope I'm sure it will be invaluable.

Welcome

Yup snow on the ground is going to reflect a HUGE amount of light. With the upcomming full moon, don't worry too much if you can't see much more then the moon and Jupiter.

Leave the deep sky stuff until it's a bit darker.

While you're waiting, download Stellarium http://www.stellarium.org/ Will help you navigate around the sky.

The moon is a great sight through one of those. jupiter and its moons, a bit later on saturn and its rings plenty of the brighter dso's m42 , m44, m52 , plenty more there should be plenty to keep you interested should the sky ever appear again

Archived