SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A little hello from Manchester

Triton

Hi all my name is Lisa

im a mother and a wife

but I also love astronomy I work more hours that I can think but I get chance to get out and have a look at our night sky's but as some of you may know Manchester is known as the rainy city which means its overcast most of the time lol that doesn't put me off I just go higher

anyway enough about me I'm a beginner at astronomy with not having much time on my hands but now I'm planning to use the dark hours to get out and do as much stargazing as I can

thanks for reading talk to u all soon

lisa x

Hi Lisa

Welcome to SGL. If you're in Manchester and have the time we'd be pleased to see you at Heaton Park Astronomy Group www.hpastro.co.uk

It was set up with beginners in mind by the park wardens. It's free to attend and accompanied kids under 16 are welcome. If it's clear we have scopes out the back, if it's cloudy (more often :sad: ) we have talks. Thursdays 7-9pm between November and March, directions on the website.

There are more formal societies all around Manchester depending on where you are and they all welcome beginners.

Pete

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome and I might just take a few of you up on ur offers sounds like a plan just have to talk to husband I'm to standing out in the cold lol

thank you all again x

Hi there Lisa , welcome to the group, I hope you get the time to look at he skies and get some great views. I am sure the people on here will give you all the information you want.

Above all have fun.

John.

Hi Lisa

Welcome to SGL. If you're in Manchester and have the time we'd be pleased to see you at Heaton Park Astronomy Group www.hpastro.co.uk

It was set up with beginners in mind by the park wardens. It's free to attend and accompanied kids under 16 are welcome. If it's clear we have scopes out the back, if it's cloudy (more often :sad: ) we have talks. Thursdays 7-9pm between November and March, directions on the website.

There are more formal societies all around Manchester depending on where you are and they all welcome beginners.

Pete

Welcome and I'd take Peter advice and get down to Heaton Park

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Lisa and welcome to the forum. Well during those rainy nights in Manchester when you can't go observing, you might want to think about downloading some free planetarium software called 'Stellarium' which you can read about here. It has lots of great features that will help you learn the sky when those clouds are hanging around and it can be configured to match your exact viewing location to show an identical sky to that which you can see with your scope. It also has a useful advance date/time feature which allows you to project the night view forward so that you can see what's coming up and from where. You can adjust the image of the night sky that is presented to you which is a great way of learning the constellation and rehearsing where things are. Given the length of time bad weather persists, it's a great tool to remind you what you have learnt and where some new objects can be found. Many use it here so I hope you enjoy it too.

Clear skies soon and hope you enjoy the forum

James

Archived