Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First time using DSS

Well i finally got round to stacking some M42 images i froze myself the other night to take. This is obviously the first time ive ever used DSS. But im happy with how it came out, this was using all the default settings etc, as i didnt want to mess about with it this late.

One thing i did notice though, this attached image is of a screenshot of the final dss screen. When i go to dump it out using the save as, it comes out looking like a single 30sec image or similar. Im guessing this is because of something i dont understand lol, but thought i would ask anyway :)

post-21702-0-01970500-1358549619_thumb.j

DSS has 2 sttings for saving images, settings embedded and settings applied.the first saves the processing settings you have done but does apply them to the saved image. the 2nd applies them to the saved image.i think i lot of imagers use other software to process and only use DSS to stack the images.

Hi Matt

I'm no expert but I've been using DSS for a couple of years and have tried messing with the settings but these days just use the defaults and save as a 16 bit TIFF to edit in photoshop. It may be really dark when you open it, but it should look smoother than a 30sec frame. In PS you can adjust the colour balance to try to get rid of the light pollution, adjust levels, curves etc to bring out the nebulosity more.

Pete

Archived