Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Welwyn garden city

Tom_m7117

The Hertford Club meet up close to the QE2 hospital in WGC, cricket ground just about opposite it I think.

Few people here are members or attend.

Not sure if they have any agreement with the Univ of Hertfordshire for observing, they have a good site just outside of Hertford.

Next club would be Letchworth, but that is a fair distance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I like to go to Essendon, which is not far from me at all. That's where I saw the Orion Nebula for the first time (Amazing!) There's a cricket ground there with no trees blocking the horizon on one side so you can get a good viewing point. Quiet area too.

• 2 weeks later...

The Hertford Club meet up close to the QE2 hospital in WGC, cricket ground just about opposite it I think.

Few people here are members or attend.

Not sure if they have any agreement with the Univ of Hertfordshire for observing, they have a good site just outside of Hertford.

Next club would be Letchworth, but that is a fair distance.

Sorry to butt in - I very much doubt the University would be willing to let a group use Bayfordbury - some of the local clubs organise evenings to look at the observatories but I don't think they use it as an observing site. Hertford Astro seem to go along on open evenings as public relations (look what you can do with a small scope). At the least they'd want security to be present but there would be lots of other institutional barriers (like health and safety).

Archived