Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

L8-Nite

Thoughts For The Day ?

There has been a power outage which has shut down the pumping station, and our community water supply. Just thinking, it might be a good idea if you haven't done so already, to charge up your phones and other battery operated devices, and to fill up your kettle and some pots with drinking water; and maybe your bathtub also, so you can use a bucket to refill the toilet tank if necessary.

Just some food for thought, considering the forcast does not look good.

Stay warm & dry !

• Like 1

Looks like we could have pretty severe conditions off and on until the end of February, hope everything's OK up there with you mike.

Thanks Steve, everything is ok, I'm usually prepared for anything, and we have plenty of bog roll. :grin:

Doesn't seem like enough grit was spread on our streets, very few cars seemed to venture out today, The local kids were having fun, throwing snowballs at anyone in range. At least I can do some inside work on our project house as its just a one minute walk from our present location. Fortunately, we got doors and windows installed reciently, making it weather tight so no worries.

Be safe out there !

hope those gritters are working.

BTW Mike, if theres anything you need, bread milk etc, I'll be in the area on Monday (trained adverse conditions driving)

in box me or give me a bell.

• Like 2

Thanks Andy, appreciate the offer, what I need is the " etc. ", an Astro-Physics 160 EDF Starfire. :grin:

Your welcome to stop by anytime, the kettle will be on. :smiley:

• Like 1

Noted Mike, many thanks, sorry cant help with the Starfire, unless you have Tal 125 APO to swap :grin:

anyone noticed with all this snow down how bright ORANGE the sky is - talk about light pollution.

anyone noticed with all this snow down how bright ORANGE the sky is - talk about light pollution.

Not at my location, but the evening sky does seem brighter overall.

Edit: Perhaps the orange glow is because the council figured coverage would be more uniform gritting the clouds rather than the streets ? :eek:

Edited by L8-Nite

Noted Mike, many thanks, sorry cant help with the Starfire, unless you have Tal 125 APO to swap :grin:

I do have a Tal pedestal mount ? ? ?

Hmmm, have you now... :rolleyes2:

Like a lot of things, sits there in storage.

Its not a driven model, has manual Ra & Dec controls, setting circles, and 7" rings.

Was going to use it for our Intes M500 scope until I acquired a Half/Hitch Mount.

Wow - its quite bad out there in Wales then guys - Ive never known it snow in Northampton for 2 days on the trot before and its still coming down like mad.

Snowed all day today, we have maybe about 5-6 inches so not as bad as you guys! Seems to have stopped now... I hope it doesn't stay like this until the end of Feb! That would be catastrophic for us lot :(

Well i managed to get off my mountain today at last been here since Thursday night / Friday morning still got 12 inches of snow in the front garden and a 3 ft drift tin the back. Got the car down the hill this morning Scary few minutes and only single track. still got there and back and now topped up with food and milk. there were people talking about gritters what are they ? the house has been here thirty years never seen one up here.

had to dig our selves pout again this year with the help of a JCB which helped move the top snow but compacted the bottom two inches that has been an ice rink and down hill don't make it easy.

Hi Grahame,

The local kids have been sliding down the steep connecting road's creating an ice sheet, so its too dangerous to even try to get to the main road. We're lucky to have a small shop within five minutes walk, and they are well stocked. The gritters only seem to be covering the main road and spreading "very little" grit to the other main streets, so some of my neighbors and I have been spreading what little we can get out of the few roadside containers. Wish I had my tractor over here at the moment, I keep telling everyone I'm not qualified to use a shovel. :grin:

funny enough a tractor pulling a grit spreading thingy behind it came in our street today and I live in a tiny cul de sac - was very suprized I can tell you.

Yesterday one of the guys in my street used a bucket and trowel and went up and down the street spreading grit from the local bunker on the road. It worked because cars started venturing out for the first time about midday. I went out late afternoon and was amazed how clear the main roads were compared to the side streets. The council grit the main roads but not the side streets.

Although I notice the local access areas and car parks of the council offices were well gritted days earlier.

Possibility of another dumping tonight, especially tommorow morning possibly extending into the afternoon - watch the met office updates could go amber @ 4pm if it comes off

Thinking about one of these at the moment. (sorry, can't get link to work.)

Google . . . . . 43cc Snow Scooter :biggrin:

Going to thin out the herd.

I've thought of doing the same Mike but I'd end up buying my own Christmas presents, have too much money and have nothing to moan about when the house is tidy and dishes done all the time

I'm in no hurry, but want to narrow down to two scopes & related eyepieces, our Telementor and 7" Mak.

Today I noticed that one of the members of another social group here on SGL,

had an Avatar in his signature depicting his local group afinity.

I thought it was a nice touch, and an avatar for the South Wales Group might

be of interest ?

Any thoughts on this ?

I've only just noticed of all the social groups on here the S Wales group seems by far the most active - over 4k posts - most seem 50 to a couple of hundred with only 1 over a thousand posts. Wonder why that is?

• Like 1

Maybe because we're all out with our scopes rather than talking about them ;)

• Like 1