Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Pollux

Dovetail 'types'

All,

Can someone please explain/detail the various dovetail 'types' available?

Is there one type that's better than another?

Is there one type more suited to differing scope types?

confused.com

Cheers in advance

...Mark

Every chance of being wrong but I think there are basically 2 - Vixen and Losmandy.

They are simply different sizes in width and height, think Skywatcher uses the Vixen one.

The "best" one? The one that fits the mating part on your mount.

• Like 1

I agree with Capricon. While there are several types of dovetail, the two most common ones are Vixen and Losmandy.

Vixen dovetail is cheap, narrow and light weight, which gives it an advantage in small scopes and portable set up.

Losmandy dovetail is more expensive, wider and heavier. It is stiffer than Vixen, and works better with large and heavy scope

• Like 1

Of course, you need the one that fits your mount but there is another advantage to the Losmandy over the Vixen and that is the fact that Losmandy equipped mounts tend to have an adjustable 'saddle' rather than a fixed 'block' with a retaining bolt and this has the advantage of applying an even pressure across a wide area of the two sides of the dovetail rather than just digging a bolt into the side of the dovetail bar to stop it from moving. Don't get me wrong, the Vixen style unit is reasonably solid, just a little crude in comparison with the Losmandy solution. The Vixen style is fine for small telescopes but a tendency to twist with increased weight makes them less suitable for larger instruments.

• Like 1

Thanks guys...

Losmandy definitely sounds a lot more 'reserved' will have to see if I can swap my Vixen type completely?

I've often thought the idea of crunching a couple of screws into the side of the rail a tad Neanderthal... Not disputing the fact it's a simple idea that actually works!

Is it straight forward to swap 'formats' ???

...M

Thanks guys...

Losmandy definitely sounds a lot more 'reserved' will have to see if I can swap my Vixen type completely?

I've often thought the idea of crunching a couple of screws into the side of the rail a tad Neanderthal... Not disputing the fact it's a simple idea that actually works!

Is it straight forward to swap 'formats' ???

...M

Before you go and change all your dovetail to Losmandy, you will need to get one of this for your CG5 mount

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-guidescope-rings-and-systems/adm-dual-saddle-upgrade-for-eq5-and-cg5-mounts.html

• Like 1

Before you go and change all your dovetail to Losmandy, you will need to get one of this for your CG5 mount

http://www.firstligh...cg5-mounts.html

OUCH!!!

Thanks Keith...

So that takes care of the mount interface, how about the dovetail? ( 8" Celestron newt OTA) ???

...M

With the weight restrictions of (say) a C5/EQ5 mount, you will half load the mount with Losmandy parts before adding a scope.

If the mount will take it, and you want good stuff, then ADM Losmandy (as sold by FLO) is a very good choice.

ADM also make some good quality (with proper clamps) parts to fit with Vixen dovetail bars

I have built up a few new and used parts ADM over the years so that I can try different scope combinations on my D6 mount. The D6 takes my 20Kg of MN78 without flinching and will handle double that if keep it reasonably balanced.

The pics show the width of a Losmandy dovetail - somewhat wider than Vixen. Also a dual scope mounted on a Losmandy bar to the mount, then a Vixen type dual fitting to the scopes. They are 8" & 10" reflectors so that helps get an idea of scale.post-6286-0-17966700-1358542111_thumb.jppost-6286-0-31284800-1358542177_thumb.jp

Thanks David...

So basically, unless I 'upgrade' my mount, to say HEQ, it's best to stay away from losmandy :( - due to weight constraints :(

But, I can get a 'better' saddle? to fit my mount that has the losmandy 'type' clamping format using my existing (OTA mounted) vixen type dovetail?

Which type of losmandy/vixen hybrid saddle? (@FLO) were you referring to?

...M

I ordered a Losmandt G-11 with adaptor to hold an Explore Scientific 127 APO. The mount has been here for several weeks waiting for the scope to arrive. I believe the G-11 could handle any ot that I'll ever own. I realize that it's a great deal more mount than I'll need right away, but who knows what scope will come next. I didn't want to change the mount on the ES 127 thus the adaptor. Best of luck, Bob