Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Gradient advice needed

Hello all,

This image appears in the Imaging Deep Sky section too, since my GF made such a discouraging ramark about it - but funny anyhow. She adressed what she called 'the foggy stuff' and proceded with the statement that this is what I - me - 'like so much'. She's probably referring to the everlasting mile of smog that covers my dim view from the city, that I can't get rid of.

I can't do much about that physical fact, but I feel like I'm threading water in terms of gradient removal for the background. All my images seem to have the tell tale signs of a Jessun processing in that there are waves of gradients across the field. Some circular, some wavy and others just beyond classification :grin: .

I have the tools at hand - PI DBE, ABE, PS GX, layering galore but I just can't get a uniform looking sky.

What can you advice me to try?

Greatful for any inputs!

Thanks for looking,

/Jesper

gallery_16323_1516_1628575.png

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here a quick run in PS hope you dont mind

No, no that's the whole point! And I think you did very well there!! I have HLVG and this one had two dozes of it, and I have Noels Actions too, or whatever it's called, but only ever used the smaller stars occationally.

I'd really like to run that action step by step to see what it involves. Great, great work Danny and thanks a bundle!

/Jesper

Yeah Sara, I do. Getting a bit old now perhaps (the flats I mean) so due for replacement.

Well, actually f8 is so 2012 really anyways. I will try to get my AP CCD67 to work once more, and I'll even try the IDAS v2 LP filter. It's a struggle this 'anti filter' bit that I usually advocate, and I think I finally lost. So I need new flats when things go f5.4 once more.

/Jesper

I'd be thrilled to dropbox the stack Harry! I remember how you dealt with my M51 - I stared at that one in disbelief for a good while. :smiley:

Give me a moment to drop box it. GF is watching Eastenders on iPlayer and has probably hijacked the broadband...

/Jesper

Let's just have a recap of what has been done here:

post-16323-0-38106700-1358462045_thumb.p

I just realized that background gradient removal was just one of my inabilities.

Thank you Harry!! :laugh:

Question 1: How can I do the same?

/Jessun

Don't worry, I'll swallow this one and try a few more times. It's like I don't trust the data to go any further, or I set off towards a dead end.

Hi

As you can see I upped the tolerance a lot to include all those orrible colour problems , would be difficult to do with a nebula that covers a lot of the image :embarassed:

Also I dropped the smoothing factor as you have a lot of rapid changing gradients , normal settings would ignore these -- but careful placing of samples is required

Took me a dozen goes to get somewhere near :eek:

Harry

Archived