30mm+ EP for spectacles wearer

Jules Tohpipi

Hi,

I have a Skywatcher 200p DOB and looking for advice on a 30mm+ EP please. I've obviously looked through some older posts. But I wear glasses and have astigmatism, so are there any EPs better suited to this role?

Additionally, is there any special advantage to a 2" EP over the standard size? Or is it just a case of judging each EP on its own merits?

Obviously I'm looking at DSOs and I have easy access to non-LP skies.

Happy to buy new or secondhand. Budget is up to £100 if justifiable, but lower is better.

Thank you.

Most 30mm + eyepieces have generous eye relief.

Skywatcher Aero ED is a good one. Just make sure your glasses is fix focus and clean. Varifocal doesn't work for astronomy.

You can also use Televue Dioptrx astigmatism corrector on all TV eyepieces and some third party model. 42LVW is one third party eyepiece that works well with the dioptrx.

Another vote for the Aero ED here. Nice, comfortable eyepiece to view through and a twist up eyecup so that you can find the eye placement position that suits you. The one that Damo links to seems a good buy - almost half price.

The best bet is see if a local astro supplier (Scope and Skies) can get both in for you to try from their warehouse. On the other hand, just buy the Aero and if it doesn't suit, sell it on for no loss beyond postage.

Russell

I have the BST's and like you glasses and astigmatism. Find they work fine and the resultant field is the same for the 25mm BST and the 30mm plossl.

With them they are fairly parfocal so less refocussing when swapping, assume you get others in the set however, but they also have the same eye relief across the set.

Archived