SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Advice Please - EOS1000d Filter Mod (Originally Posed in Camera Section)

dazza1639

I orignally posted this in the Camera Section so appologies if you've already seenthis post, but I could really do with some advice and opinions.

I have been toying with the idea of doing the filter mod to my Canon EOS 1000d, and I have a few questions!

Firstly is it worth while doing or am I better to wait until I can afford a CCD?

Does anyone have any comparison shots of the same object pre and post modification?

Filter removal vs replacement, I will only be using this camera for Astro work so autofocus isn't necessary, but I do like to take wide field shot and have several EF & EF-S lenses, will I still be able to achieve focus with these if I just do the filter removal?

How difficult is the mod to do yourself?

Has anyone got any experience of the astronomiser service and would you recommend it?

Thanks for your help in advance

Regards

I orignally posted this in the Camera Section so appologies if you've already seenthis post, but I could really do with some advice and opinions.

I have been toying with the idea of doing the filter mod to my Canon EOS 1000d, and I have a few questions!

Firstly is it worth while doing or am I better to wait until I can afford a CCD?

It improves the red response so yes you'll see a big difference with things like emission nebula's.

If you are getting a CCD in the next few cloudless nights ie. months then maybe not. On the whole a CCD is better & quieter ( I love my 314L+ in comparison) but expensive for the same sensor size as the dslr

Does anyone have any comparison shots of the same object pre and post modification?

Not sure I do.. need to have a search

Filter removal vs replacement, I will only be using this camera for Astro work so autofocus isn't necessary, but I do like to take wide field shot and have several EF & EF-S lenses, will I still be able to achieve focus with these if I just do the filter removal?

I just removed mine & only use for astro work. It's only autofocus thats out.. you'll be focussing manually anyway so shouldn't be a problem.

How difficult is the mod to do yourself?

I followed this guide.. http://ghonis2.ho8.c...50d1.html��Good eyesight/lighting/magnifier, a clean work area & take your time.

Has anyone got any experience of the astronomiser service and would you recommend it?

No as I did it myself. However I would have used it had I not felt up to doing it.

In summary: I think it's worth doing if your targets will benefit. I still use mine even though I now have a CCD as I use a dual imaging rigg.

Thanks that gives me quite a lot to think about. It's good to know that my lenses will still achieve focus after doing a filter removal mod, I've heard of some EOS models not being able to reach Infiniti focus wit EF & EF-s lenses after a filter removal mod

Regards

Hi Darren, I modified my 1000d, I only removed the filter, like you the camera is for Astro work only. Have a look on here: http://stargazerslou...oval-hopefully/

I didn't find it too bad of a job, my only advice is take your time. It took me near on 6 hours to complete it, that was with forgetting a ribbon cable.

The website already posted is great, has a video and a step by step tutorial, download the screw sheet and use some double sided sticky tape to attach the screws to.

Again, take your time it is a very fiddly job and if it goes wrong it can be disastrous. If you need anymore info, I will if I can gladly help you.

Rob.

Thanks Rob do you have any thoughts on being able to reach infinity focus manually with standard Canon EF & EF-S lenses for wide field work as I've had conflicting information regarding this with some websites and users on here saying that without replacing the filter you won't reach focus.

Regards

Darren

Archived