Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Greetings from Cornwall

petermartin5

I have had a general interest in astronomy for years, and have done a fair amount of reading on the subject, not that I have always understood everything I have read!!

A couple of days ago ( please dont laugh!) I bought a pair of 10x50 bins from Lidl. Only had a chance to look at the moon, but the images look fairly sharp and clear.

Again, ( stop laughing! ) my wife bought me the 70mm refractor from Lidl-I am not allowed to open it until Xmas so cant comment further. How easy it will be to assemble I am not too sure!

Maybe later I will think about getting a bigger scope, someone on ebay sells a Chinese 5" refractor for around £250, not a vast amount but I dont know anyone who has used one of these so I am a bit wary.

Hope to enjoy this site as I dont know anyone in my area who has an interest in astronomy.

Merry Christmas to you all and a properous New Year.

Pete

Alot of people on the forums have posted good reports for both the Lidl telescopes and binoculars so I don't think you will be disapointed with their performance!

Welcome to the forums Pete! Hope you enjoy your stay :clouds2:

Hi Pete and Welcome

Yes, there has been an interesting discussion on the 70mm - have a look in the Equipment sections...

There are two or three other members that use that 5" refractor - I'm sure they'll give you their views and opinions :clouds2:

Feel free to ask any questions, we're here to help :clouds2:

Hello Pete,

[move][glow=red,2,300]Welcome to the Forum[/glow][/move]

That scope you have from Lidl is a great one for the money and should fill in the gap until you get a larger scope, my next door neighbour has the same one and i looked over just this morning cracking scope!

Like Daz has said theres a few people on here that have the 5" scope your talking of, sounds like a good scope too.

Enjoy the forum and a Happy Christmas to you too :clouds2:

James :clouds2:

Hi Pete,

Welcome aboard mate,if you are given a awelcome like me enjooy.

Ive onley been aboard aweek ,but i feel as though i am an old hand.(wish)

I had 10x50 binoes for a long time ,for wide field views cant beet em.

All the best & clear skies

Mifk.G.

There are two or three other members that use that 5" refractor - I'm sure they'll give you their views and opinions :clouds2:

Welcome Matey!!

That scope is one hell of a refractor for the money IMHO.....and I don't even like refractors..... :clouds2:

I'm made up with mine the other option for that sort of money is a 8" Dob, slightly better views but you won't be able to track objects. Either choice is a winner :clouds2:

Welcome aboard Pete,

So you have to wait til Xmas before using the scope...  Not to worry, there will be two weeks of dark skies following Xmas (with little to no moonglow) that will be perfect for observing.

Weather permitting :clouds2:

Steve :clouds2:

Archived