Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Yeoman

Upgrading a 250PX 10" Dob or a new scope? Advice anyone please ?

Hi all... I was wondering whether to consider upgrading my 250PX 10" Skywatcher Dobsonian scope to a computerised or motorised mounting or base but I am not sure if its a good idea or not at this stage or whether to just buy a different (already motorised goto) scope, the main 2 reasons being I would like to do a bit of photography in the future and also I can never find anything much. I have had it a year but so far have only seen the Moon and Jupiter in any detail and stars just seem like white dots. I was wondering if it might be better to buy a different scope altogether as I find this one not only a bit large to lift in and out by myself but as I say I can never find much and when I do it seems to vanish from view very quickly. A good friend of mine just bought a Celestron Nexstar 8 which seems a very good scope on paper but he seems to be having problems setting it up and problems with Firmware etc. Has anyone out there had any experience of upgrading the Skywathcher 250PX to a different mount? Obviously if it costs too much I may as well sell mine and get a Nexstar 8 or something similar myself for £1250 or whatever as I am sure I can get £350 resale back for my 250px which means I would only lose £100 or so on that from what I paid... I have also considered a Celestron Sky Prodigy 6 with the self set up feature but really cant decide.... Any opinions would be gratefully considered, thanks for reading.

Hi....

You can put the 250px onto a mount but unfortunately it will cost due to the weight, a NEQ-6 mount would the minimum you would get away with. Unfortunately though objects such as stars will be never more than small white dots, the distances are just too far to make them appear bigger with magnification. I would be very cautious about going from a 10" Dob to a 6" Sky Prodigy as the views will more than likely decrease in quality, imo it would feel like a big step back optically.

You could start to into the world of astrophotography if you bought a mount like a NEQ-6 but I think you're looking at around £900 for the mount.

I to think the prodigy would be a step backwards, and I think its over priced. An neq 6 with a set of rings would be a good step, then an 80mm apo later if photos are you thing. Don't replace with smaller for visual work ,you will regret it.

I would stick with what you have and get used to finding objects. They are all up there you just have to be patient and maybe improve your technique a little. What books, star charts do you have? Do you own Turn Left At Orion? That works well for me and gives a good idea of what to expect through the eyepiece. Do you have a RDF or a Telrad they help no end for locating objects.

If in doubt keep posting on here.

Gary.

Have a search for DOB modding, setting circles and wixey angle gauge...

It will help you find things :D

2 options:

1.learn how to find the targets you are after and use your current scope.(little to no photography possibilities in this case)

2.UK does not sell it anywhere but there are shops in germany and poland who do sell the GO-to upgrade kit for 10" dobs.Costs arround 550 quid and basicaly replaces your manual base to a go-to motorised base.will work out cheaper as to get the 1 grand EQ6 mount and with the Go-to you should be able to do some photography,but dont downgrade your scope.Plus you can try and sell the manual base afterwards.

Any link to that upgrade? Might get that myself if it has the functionality where you can push it most of the way and it does the fine adjustment and then tracks.

sure,the cheapest one so far I found is in Poland.They ship through out the EU and shipping costs to Uk seems to me will be around 50 euro.Price for the kit is in zloty (polish money)so use google to get the exchange rates.Works our around 530 or so squids.

http://teleskopy.pl/product_info.php?products_id=2220&lunety=Upgrade_Kit_GoTo_do_Dobson_10''_Sky-Watcher

sure,the cheapest one so far I found is in Poland.They ship through out the EU and shipping costs to Uk seems to me will be around 50 euro.Price for the kit is in zloty (polish money)so use google to get the exchange rates.Works our around 530 or so squids.

http://teleskopy.pl/...39;_Sky-Watcher

That's fantastic and a much cheaper alternative to an NEQ-6, I'm sure some of the more experienced astro photographers would say it may not be best imaging platform but for GOTO and track purposes it's nearly half the price of the NEQ-6

Why oh why don't SKywatcher sell these kits in the UK?! They'd surely sell like hotcakes, I don't understand why Poland gets them but we don't.

not a clue why Uk are not getting them.I found them in Hungarian astro shop websites and i think also in germans but they where a bit more expensive.the Polish one seemed the cheapest one to me.i was thinking at one stage to get this for myself,but i decided to stick to my manual one and instead of upgrading it i will convince my wife that i need 16" dob lol.(storage and handling is not an issue)So if anyone has one and is willing to part with it,drop me a line and I will seriously consider it.

Would this upgrade base work on a non flex tube 250 or is it just for flex tubes. Wondering how it would drive the scope.

not a clue why Uk are not getting them.I found them in Hungarian astro shop websites and i think also in germans but they where a bit more expensive.the Polish one seemed the cheapest one to me.i was thinking at one stage to get this for myself,but i decided to stick to my manual one and instead of upgrading it i will convince my wife that i need 16" dob lol.(storage and handling is not an issue)So if anyone has one and is willing to part with it,drop me a line and I will seriously consider it.

Hee hee same as me.....holding out for a bigger Dob!!

I wonder if enough people on here expressed an interest would one of the UK suppliers take the plunge and order a few from Skywatcher to sell, maybe it'll need a few of us to nudge the market in the right direction?

Right We need to work out a way to make this available in the uk. Any Way we can get some sort of petition rolling? Or Find a supplier who can get an official response from sw? Anyway to buy direct from sw?

Right We need to work out a way to make this available in the uk. Any Way we can get some sort of petition rolling? Or Find a supplier who can get an official response from sw? Anyway to buy direct from sw?

I think sheer interest would be enough to get one or two of them to look at it.

At the moment from a cost point of view I'd be surprised if they'd make too much off selling them....it maybe more in their interests to steer you towards the full EQ-5, NEQ-6's etc and this easily to simply not sotkc and give you the option of the lower priced unit. To be fair they're not cheap the upgrades but at near on half the price of EQ mounts it's a worthy thing to consider. I'm sure many Dob owners want some form of tracking but are loathe to pay out nearly double the cost of their scope for a mount.

Update - I've rang round a few of the bigger/trusted telescope shops and all of them hadn't heard of the kit before and consequently have none to sell now or in the near future. It maybe a case of Skywatcher not doing enough to promote the product or the could possibly produce them in small batches and want to test the water first.

it is really strange as stargazing seems to be very popular in UK and it grows every day.Also the mentioned upgrade kit is widely available in Australia just the shipping costs to UK will be a killer and of course the friends from customs office will want they share of the cake too.

But definitely this kit would be a good seller for people who bought the manual versions to start with and afterwards got the funds to move on.

For me personally the manual 250PX is perfectly fine and if not bitten by aperture bug i would possibly splash out another 500 quid to get it as a go-to,but as i am bitten by the bug,my next step only will be to get either a 14" or 16" dob.16" being the max as i am afraid of hight and will not be in a comfort zone by dangling on the steps of 20+ inch dob lol.

I agree, although the upgrade is expensive (the whole hobby is overpriced imo) it defo fills a part in the market. Skywatcher offer it in 8",10", and 12" sizes. I could see the 8" and 10" kits being very popular. I mean afterall it is just a motor with the ability to count time!! The cost imo is the Synscan unit etc.

That's exactly it. Tracking and locating hard to find objects. Did Any of those suppliers offer to try and get one in?

No none of them did, or even suggested they'd enquire with Skywatcher. They didn't seem interested at all when I mentioned the user manual and you can buy them in poland, australia etc.

I emailed FLO about this and got a nice reply from Martin. He informs me that it is down to the UK importer as to what they can get their hands on; if the importer doesn't import it then they can't sell it.

Anyone know who the importer is?