Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sword of Orion - Halfway there!

Uranium235

Monday and Tuesday night was clear(ish), so it was time to continue my Orion marathon.

Firstly I completed another 5x900 on the first and 2nd panels (M42, Running Man), so that leaves me with 2 full panels and two 1 hour topups on the upper and lower sections of M42. Processing it has been a bit of a mare, again 4 layers used in an attempt to get right down to the core - with the trapezium resolved in the Ha version. Im unable to add too much Ha becuase it kills of the running man (completely absent in the Ha version).

Still a long way to go, but its finally starting to look the way I want it (well... almost!). I'd say its at its halfway mark at the moment.

1000d : 23x600

314 L+ : 6x600 + 5x900 (Ha, 2 panes)

Thanks for looking! :)

First the DSLR version with Ha from the CCD blended at 50% with the red channel - then the Ha was blended as luminence at 30% opacity. Ive lost FOV because I registered the DSLR to the CCD data. But once I have a full set of Ha I can increase the fov.

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=82269

The two complete Ha panels I have so far

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=82270

post-5513-0-68653600-1358381913_thumb.jp

post-5513-0-55014000-1358382079_thumb.jp

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coming on beautifully :) I'm thinking the Running Man reaally needs treating as a separate entity. Yes, when I've been working on M42/43 I've found the Running Man suffers if I get M42 best. When we eventually get a run of decent weather I'm planning to have another go at M42 and a separate go at the Running Man.

Thanks guys (and Gina!). Yep, loads of dust still to come on this one (as well as more subs to reduce the noise), but I cant see me getting out for the next week at least as we're bracing ourselves for blizzard conditions tomorrow! I guess the only upside is that I might get the day off out of it... and maybe Monday if it continues :)

Thanks again guys :)

I'd say overall, the 1000d does really well in the winter (and especially on M42) - ive had the camera over 2 years and this is the first time ive used it in really cold conditions (I only had it a few months before switching to CCD). Its just a case of keeping the batteries fresh (always have one on charge), I could get the power supply for it but I may be getting another 314L+ soon so its a case of bunging the 50mm f1.8 back on it for widefield or selling it (but id rather keep it!).

Thanks Harel!

I think another two or three hours on the 1000d will be enough to reveal more of that brown stuff. Im just trying to keep the noise down on the DSLR layer, so I think some 15 or 20min subs may be in order to improve the s/n ratio in the outer parts of the nebula.

But looking out of the window... I dont think anybody in the UK will be going out for the forseeable future. It looks like I will be building a snowman with the little one this weekend!

Rob

Cheers Rob and Olly :)

I'll keep working at it. Ive still got that image of the orion belt/sword area in my mind that appeared on SGL a couple of years ago - if I could get even halfway to that bit of magic I would be very pleased. I might look back through the forums to see if anything was mentioned about how it was processed.

I was tinkering with the DSLR data again last night, experimenting with selective noise reduction. The plan was to use the magic wand to select M42 and the running man (on a monoised version), then inverse the selection so only the very outer Ha regions are selected. Then a heavy dose of NR was applied, it seemed to work quite well when the original colour version was blended as a colour layer, but it should look better when the Ha data is applied to restore some of the detail.

Once im up to about 6 or 7 hours with the DSLR I think it might just be enough :D

No chance with this endless cloud though, Im starting to think I might not actually see it again this year!

Edit: This is what I have from the DSLR only. It will give you an idea of the FOV the finished item will have. Still in a rough state but you can see just how much Ha and dust lurks outside M42.... tons of the stuff!

post-5513-0-26243700-1358878207_thumb.jp

Thanks Lewis, i havent tried that particular action yet. Maybe because I didnt want anything to wreck the colour balance, and i needed to preview the changes before applying them.

Next time i will give it a go and see what happens :)

Archived