Binoviewers used with a SW 200p reflector.

Telescope40

Evenin all. Looking at possibly buying a pair of binoviewers for my 200p. Believe I will have issues with focus travel. Will they work if I attach my 2x barlow to them and then to the scope.

Or do I need to make sure they come with a "nosepiece" to make sure they will focus when in use.

I know I will not have any issues with my SCT and on reading a few posts they seemingly will work with my C 100 ED refractor ?.

Apologies, as I'm sure this has been covered before but cannot see any specfic, earlier, posts.

As always, any wisdom greatly received.

You're right when you say Binoviewers optimised for reflectors come with a nosepiece. I have an Earthwin PFS-B which is primarily meant for reflectors but I use it in an SCT and it should work in some refractors as well.

It all depends on the focus of the individual scope.......

I know a lot of people use binos with truss Dobs and find focus by moving the Primary and a Barlow will often be needed with a refractor.

I would suggest posting the question on Cloudy Nights as they seem to be more widely used in the USA and makes such as Denkmeier and Earthwin do models for reflectors.

Baader also do a good modular system which is versatile and you can try out the Maxbright before moving to the insanely expensive Mark V.

It is a complicated subject though and I think you'll get the best info on CN.

Good Luck

Another option maybe Harry Seibert in the US.....he makes all kinds of add-ons and OCS s for his own and other makes of Binos. I think he can make just about any configuration work.

He's happy to go through the options on the phone or email, very helpful.

I thought they were not advised for use with Newtons?

They can be tricky because of insufficient in-focus. However, in some cases this can be remedied by putting a Barlow/tele-extender in the nose-piece of the binoviewer. A more drastic solution (not recommended unless you have fully researched the implications and are certain (i) that is what you want to do and (ii) you have the technical expertise to do it) is to shift the primary mirror a few inches up the tube.

Edit: removing B) caused by trying to put a b in parentheses!

Archived