Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

Mike73

Which Moon observing guide?

I'm looking for good book on the Moon, something which will give a description of what is on show on each Lunar day.

I already have Virtual Moon Atlas on my desktop and Moon Atlas on my iphone but I do like a good book so any suggestions are appreciated. :)

Mike, I really get some pleasure from using the following:

moonatlas.jpg

moonandmars.jpg

The plastic covered, foldable, Moon Map is from Sky and Telescope.

The book is rather old, battered and secondhand, but is most excellent. It's by Antonín Rukl and if you keep a look out, I reckon you can get it for about a quid on the secondhand market.

Excellent! I've ordered the book Michael recommended and will get Moon Mars and Venus next week. :)

Shane, I remember another thread you started asking for good reads, did you get 'Failure is not an option' by Gene Kranz? I've lent it out to someone but should get it back soon, I could send it up if you want?

hi Mike

not yet but it's on my hit list - I'll probably buy it but that's a kind offer thanks!

I put The Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas in my Amazon wish list, I didnt buy it as the price is a bit steep but just been told by the wife that she ordered it and it will be here tomorrow! :icon_compress:

It does look very good and I'II add a review as soon as I've had a good look through. :)

I very much like "Observing the Moon" by Gerald North. He looks at the various lunar landscapes and asks the observer to try and work out the chronology of events that caused the various formations. The book is mine of information.

'Discovery the Moon' every time. I have tried several but keep coming back to this one. Excellent daily targets, legible images for all types of scopes, sensible size for field use and really well written commentary.