SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Howdie!

Scarlet89

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Scarlet and welcome to the forum. Astronomy isn't difficult its just that there is a lot of it! :grin: Whether it's kit or the latest astronomical discovery, it is always changing and so I suppose we are all beginners really as its impossible for any of us to know it all anyway - so you're in good company! One useful bit of kit though is some free planetarium software called "Stellarium" which you can view here. It's really easy to use and you can configure to your exact viewing location thereby generating a simulated night sky that is identical to the one you can see with a scope. It has some great features within it to help you learn the sky and you can use it to find out where all the interesting stuff is or even identify objects you discover along the way. One really useful feature is the the date/time advance facility which allows you to move the sky forwards to see what might be coming up, which is handy is you don't have a clear view of all the night sky and want to know when a particular object might appear. It is certainly worth a try and the night sky that stellarium produces does actually move in front of you in real time! Hope that helps.

Clear skies for now and hope you enjoy the forum.

James

Thanks guys judging by the amount of posts ye have and the info underneath ye're comments, I'm definitely going to be at a loss for a while lol. Just getting myself used to the jargon used in astronomy!

This time last year I felt exactly the same as you - it's a pretty steep learning curve :grin: Good fun though, and at every level you can get out and look at something - whether it's using eyes, binoculars or the highest tech scope.

Archived