Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
michael.h.f.wilkinson

Brief look at Ceres, Vesta, the Rosette, and M35 with bins

Yesterday after salsa dancing lessons, I noticed some very clear patches in an otherwise mediocre sky filled with thin wispy clouds, I hooked out the Helios 15x70s and had a quick look at the Rosette. Lo and behold, a faint milky patch showed around the central cluster (should be better from a darker site). I also checked up on Ceres and Vesta, and they had moved quite a bit since last Saturday. They were only visible through a thick haze, near Zenith. After a quick look at M35 I packed the bins up.

All (more-or-less) old friends, but I was happy with the quick session

• Like 1

I was also looking at the Rosette lasy night. My 10 x 50s didn't show up much more than the central cluster though. Still, very nice to see it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By BinocularSky
      The latest edition of the Binocular Sky Newsletter is ready. As well as the usual overview of DSOs, variable and double stars, this month we have:
      * Asteroid occultation of a bright star
      * Neptune appulse with bright star
      * Vesta getting easier
      * Three Mira stars near maximum
      This should be enough to keep you gainfully occupied with your binoculars or small telescope. To pick up your free copy, just head over to http://binocularsky.com and click on the Newsletter tab, where you can subscribe (also free, of course) to have it emailed each month, and get archived copies. 

• By BinocularSky
      The August edition of the Binocular Sky Newsletter is ready. As well as the usual overview of DSOs, variable and double stars, this month we have:
      * A grazing occultation of a bright star
      * Moon occulting stars in the Hyades
      * See both ice giants as well as Vesta
      * Review of the Celestron EclipSmart 10x25 solar binocular
      I hope it helps you to get the best out of these late summer nights with your binoculars or small telescopes.
      To pick up your free copy, just head over to http://binocularsky.com and click on the Newsletter tab. You can also subscribe (also free) and have it emailed each month.
      Warning: Do not attempt to observe the Sun with any optical system that is not specifically designed for the purpose.
    • By BinocularSky
      The latest edition of the Binocular Sky Newsletter is ready. As well as the usual overview of DSOs, variable and double stars, this month we have:
      * Uranus and Neptune are back (just!)
      * A couple of Mira variables near maximum
      * Ceres is still available
      * Review of the Bino Bandit
      I hope it helps you to get the best out of these short summer nights with your binoculars or small telescopes.
      To pick up your free copy, just head over to http://binocularsky.com and click on the Newsletter tab. You can also subscribe (also free) and have it emailed each month.
    • By rotatux
      The Rosette Nebula, with its inner star cluster NGC2244
      A pseudo-HDR image because it's the combination of several developments from the same stacking result (could not bring out the colored nebula and master the stars in a single dev).
      Gear: Olympus E-PL6 with Skywatcher 130PDS and CC on Omegon EQ-300 tracking RA
      Capture: 10 × 60s × 3200iso, no darks/flats
      Processing: Regim 3.4, Fotoxx 12.01+
      Site: 50km from Paris, usually Bortle 4-5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.