SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Best Mount for Imaging (£5k-£6k Budget)

ribuck

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back on flips for a sec; I would far rather not have them. I'm surprised that 10 Micron, who have clearly brought something new to the table with their mounts, have not yet offered a flipless format. Come on, nobody wants a flip!! Even when done perfectly we'd be happier without them, surely. Have we all been put off forks by the various American abominations which simply aren't good enough? I say; rehabilitate the fork or variant post Meade and Celestron...

Olly

Back on flips for a sec; I would far rather not have them. I'm surprised that 10 Micron, who have clearly brought something new to the table with their mounts, have not yet offered a flipless format. Come on, nobody wants a flip!! Even when done perfectly we'd be happier without them, surely. Have we all been put off forks by the various American abominations which simply aren't good enough? I say; rehabilitate the fork or variant post Meade and Celestron...

Olly

Any views on this, Olly?

http://www.mesu-opti...l/mount_en.html

IMG_1007.jpg

2_8.jpg

Mesu, do make some odd looking mounts

And put them in odd looking locations. It's great to see fresh design ideas though!

Speaking of flips... I seldom do flip - due to my location - but do they not serve as the mother of all dithers? Or does a flip create more problems in terms of gradients across the chip - making them perhaps more difficult to model out with a DBE?

/Jesper

My dream mount. I don't like IT control because I'm not good at it so the simplicy and non-dependence on IT appeals to me. I'm an odd-looking bloke so an odd-looking mount suits me fine! I've imaged with a Mesu for a year with bogglingly reliable tracking so I like that too. No Italian firm would ever use such God-awful publicity shots* so that adds to my faith in the marketing-free Lucas Mesu.(I'm not emotionally attached to it financially since it isn't mine. I hope you'll all convince Yves that he needs a 10 Micron, though, so he'll give me his Mesu in exchange for a Marmite sandwich and a grateful smile...)

On flips, the gearless ASA, backlash free, should be fine after the flip. We're dead sure that the 10 Micron will track without needing the balance re-adjusting to be east heavy? Genuine question, I just don't know. There has to be grease in the worm drives...

Olly

*Of the mount itself, I hasten to add. His choice of publicity astrophotos is positively inspired. :grin: :grin:

Olly,

If i take an image at, say, 5 deg before meridian, and then forcefully command a flip follwed by anoher image, I'd say the object is still in the same place within a few arcseconds. The tracking doesn't suffer as both axis are actively driven, and the model takes care of the rest. I don't know the backlash for my mount, but comparing to the eq6, it is non-existant. There is a belt between the motor and the worm, something that also reduces backlash - and the mount is unbelievably tight.

/p

Whilst it looks an interesting mount, having a big heavy ota held in by what looks like a pair of nylon straps.....no sir I don't like it one bit. I'm surprised that the tension from the straps doesn't deform the shape of ota tube slightly and possibly effect optical axis. Also what about dew, if those straps get damp, is there a possibility of slippage ? Nope, no sir not for me.

Whilst it looks an interesting mount, having a big heavy ota held in by what looks like a pair of nylon straps.....no sir I don't like it one bit. I'm surprised that the tension from the straps doesn't deform the shape of ota tube slightly and possibly effect optical axis. Also what about dew, if those straps get damp, is there a possibility of slippage ? Nope, no sir not for me.

They'd be no different from tube rings.It's very hard to crush a circle (it's like trying to squeeze an egg by pushing on each end)

2_5.jpg

I guess I just personally wouldn't feel comfortable having my ota held in place by nylon straps. Just comes down to personal choice really.

I'd be a bit wary too, to be honest. It does look like standard rings can be bolted to it too.

Personally. I'd be more concerned about dirt and gunk getting onto the friction drive. They talk about using a fan to create positive air pressure within the mount to keep dirt out. This sounds like a weak point in these friction drives to me.

I agree. One piece of smudge and off goes the tracking... Moving parts always release some gunk from their wear and it is bound to end up on the surface of the friction roller at some time or another. Just a hunch, though; don't really have any experience in friction drive technology...

/per

Ah, my point is the opposite. Once you get a small smudge of dirt in the friction drive you have problems. Stiff grease is only a problem below -10°C and is cured by turning slew rates down to reasonable numbers...

Archived