Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dark site bonus

Took me and the bins and Treknerd a few miles out of town to a field entrance. My word what a difference! 1st time observing with less light pollution.

My usual targets Orion, Jupiter, Hyades, Plaiedes were all awesome. Was amazed by the number of normally invisible stars in Orion and the nebula looked lovely. Found M31 straight away, in fact i could see it naked eye with slightly averted vision. M36, M37 and M38 clusters were visible in Auriga.

The moon was very nice with the light and dark contrast and cratered edge between.

If I could hold the position I could have carried on looking straight up all night - star city!

:smiley:

You're right Gary - just a few miles out of town makes a difference. The Andromeda Galaxy unaided is impressive! I live on the edge of town and get pretty dark skys looking East, but looking West, back into town, is a bit of a non-starter.

Archived