Narrowband

Star gazing log

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm keeping it real simple (KISS)...

Updates: Editing and Options for a given object...

When you select an object from the main list window (by clicking on its name)... you are presented with these options...

1. Open object in Stellarium (not done yet)...
  2. Edit details...
  3. Search google for the object (using its name)...

Edit windows is straight forward... any changes made are saved...

post-27704-0-71413500-1358724460_thumb.j

post-27704-0-92710800-1358724466_thumb.j

Almost there...

Add, Edit and Delete records complete (for all database)...

Included Databases: Messier and Planets... (messier objects all included, some image required... a few planets added to the Planets database)...

There's a clean database for you sighting.... (you could have more databases if you need them)...

Updated pictures... Now you can see a thumb of all images when viewing records (clicking a thumb nail show the big image)...

Mike

PS 1: Even if you do not record your sighting, the program provides a good reference as your do not need to be connected to the net to view things...

PS 2: Remember, this program is web based so you need to install a local web server to use... (this is easy)...

PS 3: When installed on a memory stick the program can be used and updated on any PC... (it's self contained)...

post-27704-0-30349500-1359002595_thumb.j

post-27704-0-65626900-1359002604_thumb.j

post-27704-0-22079100-1359002611_thumb.j

post-27704-0-08742700-1359002617_thumb.j

Well now that I have actually figured out how to align and focus and have finally used my new scope ( a break in the clouds last night) and have now seen my first sighting of the moon and Jupiter before my feet froze and I gave up........need somewhere to log my experience .......so I am glad to see that you are progressing......... big smile. Amazed with what you are doing.

Hi Michaelo,

Keeping an observing log is a great idea. Not only will it record what you have seen but it will be a valuable account that you can look back on in the future. I also find it useful to produce an observing programme for the year to help direct what observations you can make and get the best use of your equipment. You can add new intentions to your programme as you either get new equipment or targets present themselves (e.g. new comets etc.). It is also something to do on poor nights and keep up the enthusiasm.

Best of luck recording!

Cheers,

Steve

I started keeping written logs but have since moved over to using Sky Safari on my iPad to keep track of what I've seen. You can create a new observing list for your session and quickly add the objects you have seen to it and then make notes if required. The list can then be exported and emailed in text form. Dead handy.

I also keep an excel workbook with separate spreadsheets for planets, constellations, messiers, hershels, caldwells and the lunar 100 so that I can keep on overview of what I've seen.

My latest thing has been to create lists in Sky Safari of the objects from the various lists that I have not yet seen which gives me and easy to reference list of new targets.

• 3 weeks later...

I built it using phpBB so it can handle registration and support a forum but I am now downgrading to simplify it... apart from that it's up and running...

Currently uploaded images automatically create a thumbnail image which when clicked on open the big image in a popup... just need some more tweaks for this bit...

Mike

Archived